Mexico panicking over job-loss to Trump

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Economics shouldn't be zero-sum. If you shop at Wal-Mart, you can't even complain. China's economic rise allows you to buy cheap Chinese-made products.

Mexico's economic rise allows cheaper goods for American consumers and it prevents poor Mexicans from migrating to the US.

But, do you what you want American voter! It's just a shame that you guys generally don't learn these things at school.
:yeshrug:
and all that prevents americans from having those jobs....

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
and all that prevents americans from having those jobs....

Either Americans work at jobs which are inefficient and the companies they work for get out-competed and lose money. After all, American companies aren't like Germany or Japan and aren't good at innovating value-chains/retraining workers/merging with the industrial economy

Or American companies move part of their value-chain overseas to remain competitive

The best part of that last scenario is that things are cheaper for consumers. So would you rather pay $35 for a US made T-shirt or $10 from a Chinese-made T shirt?

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Either Americans work at jobs which are inefficient and the companies they work for get out-competed and lose money. After all, American companies aren't like Germany or Japan and aren't good at innovating value-chains/retraining workers/merging with the industrial economy

Or American companies move part of their value-chain overseas to remain competitive

The best part of that last scenario is that things are cheaper for consumers. So would you rather pay $35 for a US made T-shirt or $10 from a Chinese-made T shirt?
:dwillhuh:

I don't think you get it though. Nafta killed alot of good jobs. It had nothing to do with not being good, or the companies losing money or being outcompeted. It was all about a money grab.

It's not about remaining competitive it was about the bottom line. And boosting profits at the expense of American workers.

Nafta fukked over the regular ppl, while the rich got richer.

However, the last paragraph is bullshyt, all it means is that companies get more profit. Capitalism at its core would ensure that those prices wouldn't skyrocket, it would however mean that the difference would be mostly absorbed by the companies profits in order to stay competitive.

Right now we are being duped in to thinking that we HAVE to have foreign stuff in order for things to be cheaper. No, they want us to think that cuz it's better for THEM.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
:dwillhuh:

I don't think you get it though. Nafta killed alot of good jobs. It had nothing to do with not being good, or the companies losing money or being outcompeted. It was all about a money grab.

It's not about remaining competitive it was about the bottom line. And boosting profits at the expense of American workers.

Nafta fukked over the regular ppl, while the rich got richer.

However, the last paragraph is bullshyt, all it means is that companies get more profit. Capitalism at its core would ensure that those prices wouldn't skyrocket, it would however mean that the difference would be mostly absorbed by the companies profits in order to stay competitive.

Right now we are being duped in to thinking that we HAVE to have foreign stuff in order for things to be cheaper. No, they want us to think that cuz it's better for THEM.

Oh, I do get it. People lost jobs. But America's industrial decline began in the 1960s and is due to technology more than cheap labour overseas.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Oh, I do get it. People lost jobs. But America's industrial decline began in the 1960s and is due to technology more than cheap labour overseas.
Then why is there so much cheap labour being used over seas?
Or Mexico,etc.
why are they building factories and shyt overseas..or Mexico ?

If it was just a technological change surely those factories can be built here?

Naw, the companies know that they can build them cheaper, take shortcuts, and hire lower paid workers if they do it there.

Technology is great, but there are still millions of jobs that could be done here. Americans have also started to make that change, and more ppl are going to universities, and more ppl are getting out of those labour jobs, however, we still need better balance. Those jobs are important for a lot of ppl that aren't necessarily university level.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
we could lower the minimum wage though :manny:

Ya'll hated Hillary for suggesting $15 was too steep, but you can't keep all the cards on the table. Something has to give.
Why are we always telling the citizens to absorb all these costs?

Don't lower minimum wage, cancel nafta, put tariffs on anything coming back in and force these companies to play fair.
Let them absorb the costs for once. They've had a pretty damn good go for a long time, about time to start giving back.(by providing those jobs here)

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Then why is there so much cheap labour being used over seas?
Or Mexico,etc.
why are they building factories and shyt overseas..or Mexico ?

If it was just a technological change surely those factories can be built here?

Naw, the companies know that they can build them cheaper, take shortcuts, and hire lower paid workers if they do it there.

Technology is great, but there are still millions of jobs that could be done here. Americans have also started to make that change, and more ppl are going to universities, and more ppl are getting out of those labour jobs, however, we still need better balance. Those jobs are important for a lot of ppl that aren't necessarily university level.

I never said it was just technological change. I said it's mainly technological change. That's why Germany still has the US beat. American companies decided to avoid heavy investments in new tech in America by opting for cheaper labour. But even that's beginning to run out as these once poor countries become richer.

Note that these jobs aren't coming back, and if they are - they'll be heavily mechanized meaning that they'll need less labour than they needed 20-30 years ago. :ehh:

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I never said it was just technological change. I said it's mainly technological change. That's why Germany still has the US beat. American companies decided to avoid heavy investments in new tech in America by opting for cheaper labour. But even that's beginning to run out as these once poor countries become richer.

Note that these jobs aren't coming back, and if they are - they'll be heavily mechanized meaning that they'll need less labour than they needed 20-30 years ago. :ehh:
How Do Other Nations Balance Their Trade? Try Germany | The Huffington Post

Germany is on another level, and a lot of what they do proves my point. Instead of outsourcing they still do a lot in Germany.

Nafta has forced America to almost abandon manufacturing altogether. Americans and American companies are still getting rich,just doing it overseas.

Free trade only works fairly when all countries are on similar footing...for example...Canada and the US.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
How Do Other Nations Balance Their Trade? Try Germany | The Huffington Post

Germany is on another level, and a lot of what they do proves my point. Instead of outsourcing they still do a lot in Germany.

Nafta has forced America to almost abandon manufacturing altogether. Americans and American companies are still getting rich,just doing it overseas.

Free trade only works fairly when all countries are on similar footing...for example...Canada and the US.

It wasn't NAFTA that did it though. America's de-industrialization began before NAFTA. And, as I previously stated - if manufacturing 'returns' to the US, it won't employ a lot of people.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
It wasn't NAFTA that did it though. America's de-industrialization began before NAFTA. And, as I previously stated - if manufacturing 'returns' to the US, it won't employ a lot of people.
Nafta didn't start it, however it put the final nail in the coffin, cuz instead of going overeseas we had Mexico right beside us to take advantage of.