Michael: The Michael Jackson Biopic from Antoine Fuqua, Starring Jaafar Jackson | April 18, 2025

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm

The Hollywood Reporter
@THR
Michael Jackson is getting the biopic treatment. 'Bohemian Rhapsody' producer Graham King and director Antoine Fuqua are taking on the musician’s life in a film titled #Michael: Michael Jackson Biopic in the Works from Antoine Fuqua, Lionsgate

“The first films of my career were music videos, and I still feel that combining film and music are a deep part of who I am,” said Antoine Fuqua, “For me, there is no artist with the power, the charisma, and the sheer musical genius of Michael Jackson" Michael Jackson Biopic in the Works from Antoine Fuqua, Lionsgate
According to Lionsgate, the film will address all aspects of Jackson’s life, though it is unclear how the film will address the many controversies involving the late music icon, given that the film is made in conjunction with his estate, which has defended him against accusations of sexually abusing children. Those accusations were returned to the public discourse thanks to the 2019 HBO documentary, Leaving Neverland.

UPDATE:
Michael Jackson Nephew Jaafar Jackson To Play King Of Pop In Antoine Fuqua-Directed Biopic
Xtl9Bqz.png

Michael Jackson will be played by the late icon's 26-year old nephew Jaafar Jackson in the Antoine Fuqua-directed film biopic for Lionsgate. Fuqua just posted a confirmation on Instagram. The singer and songwriter is the son of Jermaine Jackson, who is the brother of Michael and member of The Jackson 5. Jaafar has been singing and dancing since age 12, and has showcased himself singing tunes from Sam Cooke to Marvin Gaye, along with originals.

As Deadline revealed last week, the Emancipation helmer signed on to next direct Michael, which has a script by John Logan. The film's being produced by Graham King, who turned the Freddie Mercury Queen story into the blockbuster Bohemian Rhapsody. GK Films will produce alongside the co-executors of Jackson's estate, John Branca and John McClain.

Last edited:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
My heart goes out to whoever they cast in the role. How do you go from how Michael looked for most of the 80's to what he looked like in the 90's and beyond after Vitiligo kicked in? No matter how you portray Michael, segments of the audience will be polarized.

For this simple fact, they should just never do a Michael Jackson biopic.

Just do an OJ Made in America 6 part documentary, win your Emmy and call it a day.

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
I remember during the release of the “Xscape” posthumous album, LA Reid originally wanted to make a biopic that was inspired by Michael’s “Moonwalker” autobiography. The concept was that the film was going to follow Mike’s career from his teenage years and ends after the success of the “Thriller” album.

That would have been a pretty solid movie if it was done right.

Antoine Fuqua is a good director and I have faith he will do Mike justice.

I will say this though..you just can’t cast ANYBODY to play that man. When it comes to “The American Dream” movie, a young Jason weaver was the PERFECT casting for young Mike. While Wylie Draper (RIP) was PERFECT casting for grown Mike.

Myles Frost from the “MJ: Musical” was good too and honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets the leading role in the film.

But i will say this though…who EVER they get to play that man. He WILL win an Oscar.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
At the end of the day this film is going to come down to the script and the star. The producing team behind Bohemian Rhapsody is also working on this film and the guy who wrote The Aviator is writing the script. Personally I think its a problem having a white writer weaving the history of the greatest BLACK performer who ever walked the earth and the uniquely AFRICAN AMERICAN challenges that Michael and his entire family faced getting out of Gary, Indiana. But I guess we’ll see.

More than likely they’ll get an unknown for the role or somebody whose been bubbling under the radar with a few credits here and there.

I also am wary of the traditional “Biopic” formula they seem to be going with. Its what sunk the Whitney movie. These people’s lives are simply TOO bombastic for a two and a half hour film. Michael Jackson’s career could literally be a trilogy of movies with everything that needs to be touched upon.

1). Humble beginnings in Gary, Indiana. The struggles Joe and Kate faced raising a family of NINE KIDS in the ghetto. Formation of the Jackson 5. The YEARS they spent grinding on the chitlin circuit BEFORE they even got to the Apollo. The first initial record deal with Steeltown records. Meeting up with Bobby Day & The Vancouvers. The audition for Suzanne De Passe. Signing to Motown. Cutting the first three singles. Joe becoming the legal guardian of Johnny Jackson (Drummer) and Ronnie Rancifer (Keyboard) moving them out to Encino and ultimately firing and abandoning them. The Jacksons becoming a worldwide phenomena

2). Joe and Barry Gordy’s fraught relationship and battle for control over the group. Joe showing favoritism towards Jermaine’s relationship with Hazel Gordy while shytting on the other brother’s wives and girlfriends (which had an impact on the way Michael viewed relationships and media scrutiny) the brothers running through hoes (which had an impact on the way Michael viewed sex and intimacy) Michael having to deal with both a solo career and the lead member of the group. Michael desperately wanting to write and produce his own music, which led to the Jacksons departing for CBS.

3). Michael striking out on his own after filming The Wiz and meeting Quincy Jones. The Off The Wall era. Thriller being born from the White Media ignoring the massive success of Off The Wall and Rolling Stone refusing to put him on the cover. The massive success. 8 Grammy wins. Fake relationship with Brook Shields. The Pepsi burning incident. Michael and Frank Dileo’s relationship and how Frank tried his damndest to alienate MJ from his brothers. Motown 25. The Victory tour. Michael’s addiction to both plastic surgery and pain pills stemming from that burning incident. Michael increasingly isolating himself from everybody but children. The Bad era. The Dangerous era. Molestation charges. Michael actually overdosing on pills once and entering rehab. HIStory era and comeback. Two failed marriages. His own children. Fraught relationship with Sony. Mottola sabotaging the marketing for Invincible because MJ wouldn’t reup with the label after discovering they’d screwed him out ownership of his Masters. The “blanket dangling” incident and how it was blown WAY out of proportion. The disastrous interview with Martin Skreli. Failed comeback attempts. This Is It Tour announcement. Death and impact.

And thats just the stuff we KNOW! You can’t TELL ME all of that will convincingly fit into a standard biopic narrative.

Michael’s biopic should be an A-list limited HBO series. 6 episodes running at an hour and a half. Its the only way in my opinion.