MLK on the "White Moderate". Very relevant still today. Can also apply to modern politics..

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
i'll be here forever shytting on you, male nurse, and james :umad:

and I'm not surprised you're a raging c00n...pray to white jesus breh

Yep, I went to a mostly white church. I have no problems admitting it.

giphy.gif

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
MLK was very heavy in philopshy and this letter and many other speeches I believe show the influence of Kant and Sartre (among others) in regard to his view on social justice and reform.

A major underpinning of this is he viewed the "white moderate" he's referring to his this letter as someone who is not authentic. Existentially speaking when white moderates encourage others to go long with racial laws or go along with them merely because they are the laws they are practicing in bad faith because they lack authenticity.

This is where I think his existential views come in line with Kant's categorical imperative's influence on MLK. Civil rights shouldn't be done out of convenience because not following though with your duties, or simply put what you ought to do, means you are also neglecting your personhood. Meaning you are behaving unethically.

Further to quote Kant,

"Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law without contradiction."

Civil rights fails if everyone is supporting rights only because it's law and not because they believe in it because ultimately they will skate the law and only serve it where it is convenient. Not surprisingly it is what I imagine the black conservative references when they say, "you can't legislate away racism." @DEAD7?

Just a quick primer, i'll be back later.

Last edited:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
And in some senses I find this particular article to be telling.

MLK largely seems to be debating the value of utility as a whole.

Let's not forget he also said:

. There were points in Hegel's philosophy that I strongly disagreed with. For instance, his absolute idealism was rationally unsound to me because it tended to swallow up the many in the one.

So he seemed to understand his need for white folks to get some of the things he wanted, even if he wasn't getting them for the reasons he wanted.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
One of my favorite quotes:

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said:
You deplore the demonstrations that are presently taking place in Birmingham. But I am sorry that your statement did not express a similar concern for the conditions that brought the demonstrations into being.

That ether :banderas:

southpawstyle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
California
broad, sweeping statements

50 years ago, at that.
It's as relevant today as ever. Sounds like something you would call a person a Communist for saying.

“I am now convinced that the simplest approach will prove to be the most effective – the solution to poverty is to abolish it directly by a now widely discussed matter: the guaranteed income… The curse of poverty has no justification in our age. It is socially as cruel and blind as the practice of cannibalism at the dawn of civilization, when men ate each other because they had not yet learned to take food from the soil or to consume the abundant animal life around them. The time has come for us to civilize ourselves by the total, direct and immediate abolition of poverty.”

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
It's as relevant today as ever. Sounds like something you would call a person a Communist for saying.

“I am now convinced that the simplest approach will prove to be the most effective – the solution to poverty is to abolish it directly by a now widely discussed matter: the guaranteed income… The curse of poverty has no justification in our age. It is socially as cruel and blind as the practice of cannibalism at the dawn of civilization, when men ate each other because they had not yet learned to take food from the soil or to consume the abundant animal life around them. The time has come for us to civilize ourselves by the total, direct and immediate abolition of poverty.”
its a speech, not targeted policy proposals.

Also, communism took quite a few CLEAR L's since then

Remember that when you talk about "relevance"

southpawstyle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
California
its a speech, not targeted policy proposals.

Also, communism took quite a few CLEAR L's since then

Remember that when you talk about "relevance"
I agree.

“Capitalism forgets that life is social. And the kingdom of brotherhood is found neither in the thesis of communism nor the antithesis of capitalism, but in a higher synthesis.”