Moonlight reviews – "devastating drama is vital portrait of black gay masculinity"

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps

Moonlight_(2016_film).png

Variety:

Barry Jenkins' vital portrait of a South Florida youth revisits the character at three stages in his life, offering rich insights into the contemporary African-American experience.

TheWrap:

Jenkins and McCraney have artfully cobbled together something that is impressionistic and wondrous, like a compendium of half-remembered memories, tinged by sadness.

Guardian:

A rarely seen portrait of what it really means to be a black gay man in America today. It's a stunning achievement.

The Playlist:

There have simply not been enough films about the gay experience of African-Americans or other people of color for that matter. Is is not hyperbole to note Barry Jenkins' magnificent new drama "Moonlight" is a historic achievement in this regard.

THR

Glows like its title.

What says you Film Room :pachaha:

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
As long as there's no explicit sexual content, I'll check it out :ehh:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Algernon!:gladbron::blessed:

This looks pretty good btw. A24 has become a huge player when it comes to independent cinema these past few years and even with the occasional misses their line-up over the years is still hella impressive.:ehh:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Remy out here raising booty pirates?!:damn:

shyt look kinda good tho:patrice:

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
I think it's important to support black film making in general regardless of genre. Barry Jenkins made another very good movie, medicine for melancholy, a couple years back about a heterosexual black couple. I would hope the Coli becomes a conduit for such support rather than the same tired tropes about supporting 'the gay agenda.'

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
One one hand the trailer for this shyt looks real good on the other hand I dunno this subject matter makes me a bit too uncomfortable. The fact that mostly white critics loving this shyt too is also making me uncomfortable
10 years a slave had to be one of the most uncomfortable disturbing movie experiences I've ever had. That being said, I chose to support McQueen and the black actors and learned a hell of a lot at the same time. Homosexuality isn't my cup of tea but I respect others and know that it's an important aspect of the black experience. Should I look at Langston Hughes James Baldwin or Billy Strayhorn differently?

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps

They should double down and make a gay slave movie with house maids.