Multiple Manufacturers Push Hydrogen Fuel Cell Cars, But Can They Catch Tesla?

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
After years of working on prototype vehicles, multiple car companies have announced a major push for hydrogen fuel cell automobiles. At the LA Auto Show last week, Toyota showed off its Mirai, a four-door passenger sedan with a $57,500 base sticker price and a hydrogen-only fuel system. Honda recently delayed its hydrogen-powered FCX Clarity Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle until 2016, while Hyundai is planning to build 1000 fuel-cell powered Tucson's by the end of the year. Currently, most proposed hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are actually combined hydrogen-electric designs. Hydrogen gas, under enormous pressure, is used to drive a generator, which then charges a lithium-ion battery. Toyota plans to sell up to 3,000 Mirai a year by 2017, which would put it well below Tesla's own sales projections for its Model S — but at a lower overall price point. The pressurized fuel tanks in the Mirai can hold a total of 122 liters of hydrogen for an estimated range of 300 miles. A standard gasoline-powered car with a 122L capacity at 30mpg would be capable of traveling 960 miles. Proponents of hydrogen point to the vastly improved fueling time (roughly equal that of gasoline) as opposed to the 20-60 minutes required to recharge a vehicle like Tesla's Model S.

humble forever

All Star
Daps
I don't see the point. Im not willing to pay extra for a car that isn't something awesome special like a tesla. With tesla all you need is an outlet, with that thing you need a special gas station. fukk that

Didn't Elon drop the patents for his technology and say go at it?? I think that's their shot but i don't have in depth knowledge of the technology and situation

*edit* that car is ugly lol. Not on tesla level at all