Need help getting into Boxing

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
look for some gyms and start there. they'll let you train for a week for free (well most will give you a free week trial) and that will give you a taste to determine if you want to commit to it or not. you should try as many gyms as possible because where you train at is a big deal since you have different personalities/cultures, training styles, the trainers/students attitude, quality of gym and equipment and other stuff. just make sure it's a good fit for you.

I'm currently doing boxing and the workout will have you sweating like crazy so you should definitely start focusing on your cardio. i was at 215 when i first signed up and now i'm at 185 (i stopped lifting heavy and reduced calorie intake as well). it's better to start off with a trainer since they can immediately correct your form, give you a proper workout routine and give tips or answer any questions you have since you seem new to it.

i always thought my hooks and straights were nice, but now they are NICE, and no average joe off the street is touching me since my head movement, footwork and defense is beastly.

make sure you use your power for good if you decide to sign up for a gym. it may be tempting to unleash it on a yolked out meathead who thinks that just because he can bench a few hundred pounds, he can stomp on everyone, but you have to be above that. i say that because it seems like ever since i started boxing, people have been giving me evil looks for some strange reason at my local 24 fitness. i just look at them and think to myself, you can't grow muscles on that chin bruh :jawalrus: and go back to business. good luck.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Nothing will get you into boxing shape except boxing. They'll bring you along slowly until youre ready.

I see a lot of people use the "i wanna wait until i get in shape" excuse for not doing stuff. Especially in BJJ...when in reality you will get in shape just by showing up and going thru the motions.

Yo breh im up on the game. I remember my first time sparring :whew:
Just saying you have to be in decent shape to start , which is obviously nowhere near boxing shape

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
look for some gyms and start there. they'll let you train for a week for free (well most will give you a free week trial) and that will give you a taste to determine if you want to commit to it or not. you should try as many gyms as possible because where you train at is a big deal since you have different personalities/cultures, training styles, the trainers/students attitude, quality of gym and equipment and other stuff. just make sure it's a good fit for you.

I'm currently doing boxing and the workout will have you sweating like crazy so you should definitely start focusing on your cardio. i was at 215 when i first signed up and now i'm at 185 (i stopped lifting heavy and reduced calorie intake as well). it's better to start off with a trainer since they can immediately correct your form, give you a proper workout routine and give tips or answer any questions you have since you seem new to it.

i always thought my hooks and straights were nice, but now they are NICE, and no average joe off the street is touching me since my head movement, footwork and defense is beastly.

make sure you use your power for good if you decide to sign up for a gym. it may be tempting to unleash it on a yolked out meathead who thinks that just because he can bench a few hundred pounds, he can stomp on everyone, but you have to be above that. i say that because it seems like ever since i started boxing, people have been giving me evil looks for some strange reason at my local 24 fitness. i just look at them and think to myself, you can't grow muscles on that chin bruh :jawalrus: and go back to business. good luck.
:salute: to my coli brehs who actually box

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
:ahh:

I remember when I underwent that journey on :hamster:, my hands are sharp as fukk since then, my basic footwork, fundamentals, all straight but could be better, it was fukked up but when I hurt my knee doing roadwork I ended up getting a job(was inbetween at the time) and didn't have time to dedicate the 4+ hours I was doin so I quit.(Right before sparring:snoop:) I've been thinkin bout goin back recently cuz I been on a healthy eating exercise tip, I got the right mind set now but I'm not gonna train to be an actual fighter, just try to train like one in general. <---Keep in mind, trainers won't spend as much individual time with you if you are there just to use Boxing as a work out.

fukk my story tho, only mental thing is to have no ego like some in here said. Your a humble student, don't do no extra shyt just follow the training. You should be shadowboxing sufficiently for 5 rounds by the 3rd week if your body ain't too fukked up, in the beginning focus primarily on your cardio. Use the end if your workouts for shadowboxing, work with the double end bag to help with your hand/eye coordination, same with the speed bag, save the heavybag for last cuz you exert more fukkin with that shyt.

After a few months you should be ready to spar in the ring, keep your hands up and head moving. That's the main lessons I've learned watching others in the ring or working with trainers using the mitts. But Boxing is cardio cardio cardio so if you dedicate yourself you'll shed weight pretty quickly but go at a healthy pace as much as a strong one. Get 16 oz gloves, hand wrap, mouthpiece,(both of those should be sold to you at the gym but be mindful anyway), and most importantly a jump rope.

fukk wit it, you'll love it. :myman:

Edit: @mr. smoke weed I still got them videos you sent me on :hamster: they on my old desktop. shyt's was straight gold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
1) Find a gym

2) Leave your ego at the door

Good luck breh :salute:

It used to be so entertaining when dudes who thought they had skills would first come into my dad's gym acting like they knew all they needed to know already.
Very few of them came back after being put through their paces on that first day.

yo moms

drunk
Daps
If my next fight gets recorded Ima upload it for the Coli to :eat: