Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
New York City suing major oil companies over global warming
BY REBECCA SAVRANSKY - 01/10/18 12:09 PM EST 206
deblasio.bill_.ny_.1129.jpg

© Getty Images
New York City is suing five oil companies over climate change.

The city is suing BP, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, Exxon Mobil and Royal Dutch Shell, according to The Associated Press.

New York alleges the five major oil companies have played a role in global warming, the AP reported and is seeking to recoup billions of dollars spent preparing for climate change.

A spokesman for Shell said the issue of global warming is not one that should be handled in the courts. A spokesman for BP declined to comment to the AP.

The city previously said it was going to divest its five pension funds from fossil fuel companies, according to the AP.

In a statement about plans to divest, de Blasio said New York City is "standing up for future generations by becoming the first major US city to divest our pension funds from fossil fuels."

“At the same time, we’re bringing the fight against climate change straight to the fossil fuel companies that knew about its effects and intentionally misled the public to protect their profits," he said.

"As climate change continues to worsen, it’s up to the fossil fuel companies whose greed put us in this position to shoulder the cost of making New York safer and more resilient.”

Last year, San Francisco and Oakland sued the five major oil companies, blaming them for the effects of climate change. The cities in September each filed a lawsuit in their respective county courts against the oil companies.

Updated at 12:53 p.m.

New York City suing major oil companies over global warming
:ehh:

Colilluminati

TAMRON HALL STAN
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MiddleWest
I’m not mad , but I just don’t know what’s going to happen :patrice:

Nobody will shut them down:patrice:

Nobody will go to jail :patrice:

Clara Vondrich of the DivestInvest campaign says hundreds of institutional investors managing assets of over $5.5 trillion have taken their money out of fossil fuels.

This did nothing :patrice:

What is the goal ?

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
The city will also divest the $189 billion NYC pension fund from all companies that own fossil fuel reserves. According to the mayor's office, the plan makes New York the "largest municipality to make the divest pledge." They estimate that the divestment will amount to $5 billion, and DeBlasio suggested that the city will reinvest in "the fuel of tomorrow."

:salute:

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Low Quality Posting
First Week of 2018 Was the Coldest on Record in Dozens of Cities in the East

"Included in this list is New York City, where the average temperature during the first seven days of the year was 16.4 degrees, smashing the previous record of 21.4 degrees set in 1981."

:mjlol:

O&G companies are not angels or saints by any stretch, but let's be critically objective here. How you going to sue for global warming when you repeatedly have record snow and record lows year after year this past decade.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
First Week of 2018 Was the Coldest on Record in Dozens of Cities in the East

"Included in this list is New York City, where the average temperature during the first seven days of the year was 16.4 degrees, smashing the previous record of 21.4 degrees set in 1981."

:mjlol:

O&G companies are not angels or saints by any stretch, but let's be critically objective here. How you going to sue for global warming when you repeatedly have record snow and record lows year after year this past decade.

You really have to be shiity @ moderatoring to give someone a low warning for providing a counter argument with evidence to thread OP. The link I used will probably be used by oil and gas company lawyers to counter NYC anyway.

If the thread title said "NYC to Sue Oil/Gas Companies (BTW No Counter Arguments Allowed)" ... ok fine .... but it didn't say that and this is suppose to be a place of dialogue/debate, not echo chambering. If a poster thinks my point of view is shiity, then great, I welcome it...we can dialogue and debate like men.

The more fuucked up part about this low warning I recieved is that I state outright that oil/gas companies are not goody two shoes or victims, but deserve to be critically assessed.

Let's not start this bullshiit in 2018....cut that flaky moderatoring out. If you the moderator and care to explain just hit me up in my pm, and explain beyond generic low quality posting message, which doesn't tell me anything, since I just illustrated how ridiculous it was to recieve in the first place.

Only mentitioning you two cause you're the only HL mods I'm aware of...

@FAH1223
@tru_m.a.c.

Last edited: