Newcomer to producing I need pointers

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I've been lurking the Tunnel for years, finally decided to jump into the game but I'm clueless. :manny:

Here's a few tracks I was able to put together over the last few months, feel free to tell me if they are dope or wack, but I only posted this to show where I'm at now:

Workin on FL Studio, I don't understand what half the plugins even do, how to master my shyt, or use majority of the tools that I see nikkas on tutorials use like it's 2nd nature. :gucci:

What the hell does gross beat do, what's high pass, how do nikkas put samples on keys :jbhmm:

I have a feel for song structure, drums, and overall I think I know what sounds good, but this technical shyt is over my head. I tried to follow some of the gems @GPBear and a few others dropped in @Pinyapplesuckas thread but it wasn't much to go on. :patrice:

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
if you're a fast leaner it shouldn't take you long to get

if not then welcome to the long nights, days, weeks and months to master this craft

making beats in fruity loops is easy like basking chocolate chip cookies
___

seems like you know what youre doing by the sounds of it, i can hear a sound you used from nexus in the on the keys beat
plugins and vsts are just are basically banks for sounds and effects

mastering is basically just fine turning and turning shyt up and playing around with frequencies
the more you play around with stuff the more youlll get it just like the youtube guys, just watch them and apply what you need , you dont need to know everything

gross beat is like a dj effect type thing, halftime, reverse, juggles, glitches etc etc , adds some spice to beats and vocals if you know what youre doing

high pass is some frequency effect thing that dj's mostly use and now many people use it cause electronic music is everything now

finding the key of samples is very easy, you can do it by ear playing around with the piano role if youre not tone deaf or use edison in fruity to kind the key, a few other ways of doing this if you check youtube

i suggest you check out the internet money page on youtube for a fast guide to making beats, they mainly make new age trap beats but if you can pick up their techniques and apply to any type of beat youre making youll be alright and then you can find your own way of doing things when you gather up the knowledge

>>>>

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
if you're a fast leaner it shouldn't take you long to get

if not then welcome to the long nights, days, weeks and months to master this craft

making beats in fruity loops is easy like basking chocolate chip cookies
___

seems like you know what youre doing by the sounds of it, i can hear a sound you used from nexus in the on the keys beat
plugins and vsts are just are basically banks for sounds and effects

mastering is basically just fine turning and turning shyt up and playing around with frequencies
the more you play around with stuff the more youlll get it just like the youtube guys, just watch them and apply what you need , you dont need to know everything

gross beat is like a dj effect type thing, halftime, reverse, juggles, glitches etc etc , adds some spice to beats and vocals if you know what youre doing

high pass is some frequency effect thing that dj's mostly use and now many people use it cause electronic music is everything now

finding the key of samples is very easy, you can do it by ear playing around with the piano role if youre not tone deaf or use edison in fruity to kind the key, a few other ways of doing this if you check youtube

i suggest you check out the internet money page on youtube for a fast guide to making beats, they mainly make new age trap beats but if you can pick up their techniques and apply to any type of beat youre making youll be alright and then you can find your own way of doing things when you gather up the knowledge

>>>>

Damn it's that obvious I used nexus :dead:

I used edison to loop the sample I used on the first one, but I have no idea how I can find a key using Edison. There's a particular one I wanted to find the notes for but I don't think I had the right sound to replicate it, but does Edison have tool built in for this? I understand I can use slicex to take the raw sound from it but it sounds off. (have no idea how to use anything other than slicex)

Thanks for the internet money page I didn't know about it. The only tutorial I really learned something from was actually a coli breh I forgot his username. A lot of these tutorial dudes don't have comprehensive videos whatsoever. :francis:

• Dap
Reactions: UG.

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
I've been wanting to make a thread for newcomers. I guess I'll do it sometime in the next few days

I self taught myself and I want to cut the fat out for guys like you. Especially with flstudio, you'll learn some bad habits with the tutorials out there.

Last edited:

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
Seems like you got it all pretty much sussed out breh

Once you can take a looped sample, and chop that up and make a loop out of that - then add drums behind it - that's basically all you need to be able to make beats. Because from there, it's just a matter of going "well if I choppped one sample, maybe I can chop more than one sample at a time and have them work together"

That's when you start chopping one sample, and then filtering out its high frequencies to leave only the bassline. And then you add more chops on top from another sample which have the bass filtered out. And then from there you can add even more accentual samples for a chorus or something. And like you've already found out, you can add delays and stuff to have the sounds move from left to right which adds interesting aural depth to the beats.

I don't really fukk with synths or vsts, so I can't speak on that aspect.

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
There are youtube tutorials for everything

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
get a sample and go to Channels and open up Slicex.

I usually turn "Dump" off so i can just play out something how i feel like it. you can move around the sliders to start and stop at any point...you can also edit and turn the auto slice off and manually slice wherever you want in a sample.

you can learn alot from Busy Works Beats and War Machine i think....you gotta keep in mind that everyone's ears are different...i think these dudes make kinda wack beats but they have still taught me how to do a lot of shyt and have made so much easier for me...

everything is still mad confusing.

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
Yea with youtube tutorials, forums etc i believe i cut my learning curve when it comes to chopping,drums, song arragment and some mixing in half , just from all the info out here. I have heard so many stories from famous or just youtube producers how it took them years to to learn certain aspects of beat making.

But i believe if u have the passion, plus some natural affinity to music, the learning curve shouldn't be one of ten years.:yeshrug:

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
Damn it's that obvious I used nexus :dead:

I used edison to loop the sample I used on the first one, but I have no idea how I can find a key using Edison. There's a particular one I wanted to find the notes for but I don't think I had the right sound to replicate it, but does Edison have tool built in for this? I understand I can use slicex to take the raw sound from it but it sounds off. (have no idea how to use anything other than slicex)

Thanks for the internet money page I didn't know about it. The only tutorial I really learned something from was actually a coli breh I forgot his username. A lot of these tutorial dudes don't have comprehensive videos whatsoever. :francis:

haha breh nexus sounds have been abused to death now, the best thing is to play around with the settings in the vst options, just play around with the sounds and change up the stock sounds , if you come across a sound you like then nothing wrong with using it but it cause i also use nexus from time to time and i've used that piano arpeggio

when you open up edison look for the wrench tool, on the right side of it youll see a button called "regions" now click on detect pitch regions , it shows up the keys a sample is in

although finding the key of a sample is better by ear as the machine can be off

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
I like the French Sax..you used stock drum sounds though?:patrice:

And check out busy works beats

Gross beat is good for synths,basslines

For a simple explanation.
Think

Justin Timberlake-My love

That gated type synth is what gross beat can do..you can take a simple synth line..put gross beat to it and make it interesting.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I like the French Sax..you used stock drum sounds though?:patrice:

And check out busy works beats

Gross beat is good for synths,basslines

For a simple explanation.
Think

Justin Timberlake-My love

That gated type synth is what gross beat can do..you can take a simple synth line..put gross beat to it and make it interesting.

Not stock drums but I didnt edit their pitch or anything because I liked it the way they were.

Ill check out the YT tut too thanks.