NJ politician helps create law making financial literacy courses MANDATORY in middle schools

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

(September 9, 2019) Jersey City, NJ— This 2019-2020 school year marks the first time that it is required by law for New Jersey middle school students in 6th through 8th grade to be taught financial literacy in the classroom. Assemblywoman Angela McKnight (D-Hudson), a prime sponsor of the bill, along with Lt. Governor Sheila Oliver held the bill signing at President Barack Obama School in Jersey City in January. Assemblywoman McKnight returned on Friday to kick off the new era of learning with the students. As per the law, the financial literacy lessons “must emphasize budgeting, saving, credit, debt, insurance, investment and other issues associated with personal financial responsibility.”

Students waved pompoms and cheered for savings. “When I say ‘save,’ you say ‘money,’ shouted Assemblywoman McKnight to a packed auditorium of students. The pep rally got students ready for the newly required curriculum by getting them to think about how they save and spend currently.

“I wasn’t taught financial literacy when I was growing up,” Assemblywoman McKnight told the crowd. “You have the opportunity to not be in debt and to save and to budget for what you want and need,” she explained. Some students shared the stage with the Assemblywoman and shared personal stories of saving for a cell phone or to buy their parents a gift.

“I fought hard for this law and I want to make sure the students are excited about learning financial literacy,” says Assemblywoman McKnight who was graciously hosted by President Barack Obama School Principal Shante Jones and other staff members.

For more information on the law, visit: A1414 2R

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
The coli and those ADOS idiots get mad whenever I say that black people need financial education but it's a harsh reality. The majority of us don't know how to invest or save. You got older blacks who been working jobs for years that never even looked into investing in a 401K. Gotta break the cycle somewhere in the line. Let's just hope this is a start.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The coli and those ADOS idiots get mad whenever I say that black people need financial education but it's a harsh reality. The majority of us don't know how to invest or save. You got older blacks who been working jobs for years that never even looked into investing in a 401K. Gotta break the cycle somewhere in the line. Let's just hope this is a start.
I think that there are multiple factors that contribute to racial and ethnic wealth gap in America. Financial illiteracy is one of those factors. And it's one that can be addressed directly. This law is definitely a step in the right direction. Kids will at least have a base of knowledge.

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
I think that there are multiple factors that contribute to racial and ethnic wealth gap in America. Financial illiteracy is one of those factors. And it's one that can be addressed directly. This law is definitely a step in the right direction. Kids will at least have a base of knowledge.

The things nobody wants to speak about with the wealth gap is that it would take a a lifetime or two to close it as a whole. That's what turns people into living for today and letting the next generation suffer the same fate. Sacrifice has to start somewhere. At least this gives a group of the next generation to start educated.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The things nobody wants to speak about with the wealth gap is that it would take a a lifetime or two to close it as a whole. That's what turns people into living for today and letting the next generation suffer the same fate. Sacrifice has to start somewhere. At least this gives a group of the next generation to start educated.
Good post.
Benefitting from parents', and grandparents' scarifices is part of the reason why some individuals can enjoy and build wealth today. The racial component is there because whites have always had access to education, loans and wealth building vehicles but I know plenty of Black people from non wealthy backgrounds that were able to attend school or buy homes DIRECTLY because of their grandparents' hard work and sacrifices.

Working entire adult life, passing away, and leaving your children with nothing( or with debt) is bullshyt.