NYC MTA to Finally Make Common Sense Improvements

Daps
America in general is 25 years behind in terms of infrastructure planning and streamlining relative to other top developed economies like Canada, Germany, Australia, UK, Japan, Israel, South Africa and Spain etc.

All of this shyt has already been completed decades ago in these countries. :martin:

4. Mitigating Delays Associated with Sick Passengers and Law Enforcement Activity

• Faster Access to EMTs: When passengers become ill on subway trains, the needed response can cause major delays. It can take a significant amount of time for Emergency Service Technicians (EMTs) to find customers who need their help. Along the 8th Avenue corridor alone sick customer incidents occur on average 28 times per month with the average incident lasting at least 12 minutes, delaying multiple trains. In the initial phase, MTA will hire or train new EMTs, placing EMTs at five key stations to speed up response times and reduce delays. EMTs will be deployed at:

• 125th St
  • 59th St-Columbus Circle
  • 14th St
  • West 4th St-Washington Square
  • Fulton St
The MTA is also launching a public awareness campaign, including on-train and in-station announcements and posters to encourage use of EMTs in stations so passengers can get the help they need, as fast as possible without disrupting train service. This element of the program is slated to launch in the fall.

• Quicker Access to Police Assistance: In collaboration with the NYPD, the MTA will work to increase the availability of law enforcement at key corridor stations so that they are available to respond more rapidly to address and deter unruly behavior. The MTA is also exploring ways to connect platform controllers on the same NYPD radio frequency to improve rapid response to emergency situations.

5. Streamlining Passenger Loading and Unloading in Stations

Allowing customers to board and unload trains in a streamlined manner is key to reducing “dwell” time (the amount of time a train needs to stay in a station). The MTA is testing a number of different strategies that will allow staff to better communicate to passengers the location of less crowded areas within stations and on arriving trains. The MTA will improve wayfinding on the platform and train cars themselves to distribute passengers more evenly. The MTA is also introducing new training procedures and protocols for platform controllers. Platform controllers will be more visible to customers, provided with new technology, and be trained to better inform passengers about station conditions.

6. Targeting System Bottlenecks

The subway system has numerous points where lines merge and diverge, making the system remarkably flexible and providing customers with many options to get to their destinations. However, as ridership has grown and the MTA has increased the number of trains in the system, these merge points can present bottlenecks, delaying trains and slowing trip times. This program includes more active management of these merge points, utilizing experienced, dedicated service managers and better technology to ensure trains move quickly through hub merge points to avoid delays.

MTA | news | MTA Announces 6-Point Plan to Restructure Management of the MTA, Improve System Reliability and Service

I know the main reason they probably doing this is that future projections of NYC incoming residents has stalled and will be projected to fall if the transportation system doesn't get up to global excellence levels. People are not gonna want to invest here if their employees take 2 hours to get to work from uptown to downtown on the regular basis. Higher commute times in packed trains increase cortisol and shortens lifespan. More high quality workers are leaving NYC everyday due to the conditions.

Thankfully in my new job I can work from home 90% of the time :blessed: avoiding the commute which pretty much ruins my day before it even starts. I am highly productive and getting praise already. The future is remote work and inept transportation systems like the MTA just hasten that trend.

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
man, Chicago didnt have those ETA displays for a long time. We just got them shyts like 4 years ago. I miss living in the EU when it come to public transit. :ahh: