NYTimes: Michigan Gambled on Charter Schools, it lost (long read)

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
But the gaps can be at least closed some by proper resource allocation, more robust teacher-monitoring and training, more action per student using the standardized tests as true data, and things like mandatory pre-school and wraparound activities.
Oh, definitely. There's a ton of blame to go around.

FukYaFeelings

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Englewood Chicago to Southwest Atlanta
My daughter is in a charter school I swear that was the best decision that we made for her. Kid has improved so much in so little time.

Real question.
When I hear charter school I think of the nikkas who was always gettig suspended and kicked outta school so they went to a charter.

But I also know charter schools that are basically private schools and folks with money and a good background went there.

Which one was your kid and how old is she?

Daps
Real question.
When I hear charter school I think of the nikkas who was always gettig suspended and kicked outta school so they went to a charter.

But I also know charter schools that are basically private schools and folks with money and a good background went there.

Which one was your kid and how old is she?

My daughter was in a rough public school in Brooklyn but my wife was always and still is on top of her education. My wife was always checking in with her teachers about her progress. She was doing ok in public school compared to her classmates. My wife and I assume that a teacher of hers took notice of her because her name was entered into a charter school lottery. They sent us a letter for the lottery date out of nowhere. We went and her name was called.
The first few weeks was a transition. If she dropped a pencil and did not raise her hand to pick it up she caught after school detention. Any little thing was a problem with them. She got used to the new rules was straight. She went from hating books and school work to now studying on her own. She is very serious about her education now to the point where it's a little annoying. She is now on HS but just this summer she earned a scholarship and did a few weeks at Washington University. She has traveled the country because of her school. They take her to wall Street for her school trips.

If she would have stood in the public school I don't know how serious she would have taken her education.

She is in a little bubble being in a charter school. There's no fights. All the kids (HS) are educated and want to be there.
Humbly I'm grateful for her charter school because now she really has a good chance to make something of her life.

FukYaFeelings

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Englewood Chicago to Southwest Atlanta
My daughter was in a rough public school in Brooklyn but my wife was always and still is on top of her education. My wife was always checking in with her teachers about her progress. She was doing ok in public school compared to her classmates. My wife and I assume that a teacher of hers took notice of her because her name was entered into a charter school lottery. They sent us a letter for the lottery date out of nowhere. We went and her name was called.
The first few weeks was a transition. If she dropped a pencil and did not raise her hand to pick it up she caught after school detention. Any little thing was a problem with them. She got used to the new rules was straight. She went from hating books and school work to now studying on her own. She is very serious about her education now to the point where it's a little annoying. She is now on HS but just this summer she earned a scholarship and did a few weeks at Washington University. She has traveled the country because of her school. They take her to wall Street for her school trips.

If she would have stood in the public school I don't know how serious she would have taken her education.

She is in a little bubble being in a charter school. There's no fights. All the kids (HS) are educated and want to be there.
Humbly I'm grateful for her charter school because now she really has a good chance to make something of her life.

Oh aight that's wassup. That raising ur hand for a dropped pencil thing wild tho lol.

Daps
Oh aight that's wassup. That raising ur hand for a dropped pencil thing wild tho lol.

I think that's the difference though. That is petty as shyt but they don't want any disruptions in class.
They give after school detention if that doesn't work they will suspend the kid. The final step before kicking the kid out is to make the parent sit in the class so they can watch their kid.