[Official] Unapologetically Black video game Black Sands: Legends of Kemet (Made by a Black Man)

Will you join the Sands franchise?

• Yes, I will make sure this is spread to everyone I know

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • I will support.

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • Not my cup of tea but I got you.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Welcome to Black Sands, Legends of Kemet. As the creator, Manuel Godoy, I will be constantly updating this thread with new content, lore entries, and promotional offers. I expect feedback from the community, critiques, and general commentary. I don’t do this for myself. I do this for us all.

28c99305-c274-4d73-b190-42a69ca0d128_zpsrk0ev7nw.jpg

Genre:
Adventure, Investigative, Management, and psychological Visual Novel

Platforms:PC, Mac, Linux, PS4

Languages:English (Fully Voiced), Japanese (Text)

Visual Style: DreamWorks style graphics mixed with dark and mythological themes.

Progress:~20% of the game completed. (20 hour game)

Estimated release:~Summer 2017

“Whether friend or tyrant, I will become a King!"

Welcome to the Rift, a dimensional tear located in Canaan where the ancient gods were created and where you must prove your worthiness to lead the world of men. You have allies and the training needed to fight, but nothing will prepare you for the wonders and horrors of the unstable plains in the Rift.

features_zpskgzbaj2o.png

• Manage Respect, Relationships, and Mental will when making decisions.
    • Assigning team members to missions best suited for them.
    • Discovering weaknesses to epic enemies through investigations.
    • Collecting real world lore and in game lore by discovering hidden items.
    • Unlocking secrets of the past by collecting memory gems.
    • Making timed decisions and avoiding damage in high intensity situations.
    • Leveling up your characters to specialize in unique skills.
map_zpsjgifkv1t.gif

mortals_zpsncbqsoep.png

1%20rah_zpsqqu3tdsc.png

2%20amesemi_zpstdlxbitu.png

3%20apedemak_zpspinziylw.png

4%20gilgamesh_zpsfjdjgilu.png

5%20bydos_zpsc0a0oviz.png

ancients_zpspp8qzpkw.png

6%20nun_zpsgyx9kp8s.png

7%20coeus_zpswxtohy1a.png

8%20japetus_zpsh80cchbh.png

9%20bakasura_zpslm8d1ntj.png

10%20vritra_zpsrdha8p8m.png

mechanics_zpsfcr4owhm.png

Time

In the game, everything will cost time to complete and characters may be away, unable to do a task available. Time is managed by the player and he has 6 months to prepare to face Nun. Special events will happen at certain times such as full moon cycles, changing of season, etc. This will give the player a level of management that makes them feel immersed.

Leveling

Each character has core stats which helps them succeed in feats. Completing certain missions and training will gain you very limited talent points to specialize your character in lore friendly ways.

43a140b4-69af-4630-9414-a7ffe7edc9a6_zpskj2dzhpy.jpg

Respect

You are a leader. You must earn the respect of your soldiers! Decisions you make and the success of those decisions will affect the confidence your allies have in you. If you fail a lot, they will lose confidence and go rogue during critical decisions. You may even lose command. A true Pharaoh never loses command…

Kinship

While how successful you are in decision making and your sense in the field affects the way they see you, it does not help one bit on how they think of you as a person. In order to get on their good side, you must appeal to their innate personalities. One cannot please everyone so make your choices wisely. It is worth noting that Kinship affects how allies act when not around you or when not commanded.

Stability

You are the strongest. Unfortunately, you are also the most flawed… You have an issue with Dementia and you must suppress these voices throughout your time in the Rift. The tradeoff is considerable though because when you were young, and you let the voices run wild, you could do things others could only dream of. In these dark days, will you allow your mind to slip in order to wield more power or will you avoid such pleasures and rely on knowledge of self?

The rift has stood for thousands of years, since the day Nun arrived from the planet Nibiru. Located in the barren lands of Canaan, this void was created to keep the outside world uncontaminated while Nun worked on his creations. He spent centuries studying the humans and when he figured out this world, he created ancients similar to the life found on his home planet. They warred with each other inside the Rift until only 3 families remained. When they left the Rift, Nun used a stability gem to alter reality and hide the incomprehensible damage done. But now, thousands of years since the great sundering, Nun has created another race of beings to combat his creations from ions past. In order for them to prove themselves, they must survive the Rift, as it were during the time of the ancients. Stability is no more! Can the mortals survive the Trials of the Rift?

quest_zpsoffvtvxb.png

There are many different types of quests in Black Sands. We will briefly go through some of them to better understand the gameplay mechanics involved in each. In Black Sands, time, health, and deployment all work against you as you stride to prepare yourself for the final battle with Nun.

Scouting - designed to seek new quests exclusively. Minimal danger

Investigation - A quest that requires discipline and perception. Player must decipher material and decide what is important and not. Proper investigation rewards secrets.

Tracking - This is an extremely heavy skill check category that requires quick decision making and a little luck. These missions are available only once before they go back into the quest pool.

Social - This is a quest where you develop relationships with the other characters and learn more about them.

Instant Events - Automatically happen when certain criteria are met. May have nothing to do with prior tasks.

Group Events - The entire group must participate. Nun will go over your notes and inspect your facility whenever this happens.

Epic Events - Storyline Events that are either triggered by actions or chose by the player. These tend to have more decision making then other events.

Exploration - A quest designed to explore unknown locations. These quests have no prior knowledge so player must use their wits to move forward. The farther you get, the better the rewards. These missions can be ended at any time but there is no guarantee you can return.

This game is directly inspired by Dragon Age and Telltale. Their strong narratives and crucial game changing decisions inspired me to design a visual novel unlike any before it.

Additional motivation was found in the way Hollywood depicts middle eastern and Saharan people. We do a lot of research and use annotations in game to teach the actual history behind the fantasy of our world.

Future

We will be converting all sprites to Live2d and making them look a bit more realistic and 20x more brutal. The goal is to make this like Conan while having the art leveling of pixar, dreamworks.

How can I help?

Follow us on facebook, Cosplay our characters, Share the hell out of this, and Pay homage to the gods by buying some of our merchandise.

Don’t forget to sign up for the newsletter and remember, Nun sees all.

We have these posters and more. You can support us while getting something tangible that will uplift both you and your families.

posters_zpsqb4jr1bw.jpg

Facebook
Twitter
Official Page
Official Store

Youtube

Last edited:

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I downloaded the demo but for some reason it keeps crashing. :patrice:
its not optimized well yet. It takes forever to load on older models because everything is in 4k. We will lower the resolution during the next patch.

In the meantime, when you hit "new game." Just leave it alone for a while. The initial load is nuts. After that, you are good.

Um. Ghouls

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The climb
we are currently working on a trailer and should have a prefundia ready by june

I'd DL if I had a pc m8. What made you decide to run a VN, rather than those pixel rpgs, or sidescrollers everyone running?

Is there nudity in this?

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'd DL if I had a pc m8. What made you decide to run a VN, rather than those pixel rpgs, or sidescrollers everyone running?

Is there nudity in this?

Because I basically made the deepest story ever made based on ancient mythologies. A pixel game would literally kill it. The only options I would do is VN, Telltale, Or full fledged RPG.

The problem is the production cost skyrockets with the other two. Thus, VN. Don't worry though. If this is a success, the next titles will be more in line with full fledged RPGs

Also, there will be slight lore friendly nudity.

Um. Ghouls

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The climb
Because I basically made the deepest story ever made based on ancient mythologies. A pixel game would literally kill it. The only options I would do is VN, Telltale, Or full fledged RPG.

The problem is the production cost skyrockets with the other two. Thus, VN. Don't worry though. If this is a success, the next titles will be more in line with full fledged RPGs

Also, there will be slight lore friendly nudity.

Awesome. So, what cultures exactly are you integrating here?

Whats the budget on this, and whattrya using to make it? My only experience with vn development systems is hermoine trainer, heh.

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Whats the budget on this, and whattrya using to make it? My only experience with vn development systems is hermoine trainer, heh.
production is around 60k, we are using unity, and the cultures in this title are Kemetic, Kushyte, Akkadian, Greek, and Hindu.

It expands much wider once we get outside the rift and into the actual lands of the middle east.

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

production is around 60k, we are using unity, and the cultures in this title are Kemetic, Kushyte, Akkadian, Greek, and Hindu.

It expands much wider once we get outside the rift and into the actual lands of the middle east.

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Kerma, Seat of the King
Kerma is the capital of the region called Kush. The city is located at a strategic chokepoint controlling the Nile River. Since all trade is sent through the Nile, the city has been fought over by warlords in the region for centuries. As a result, Kerma has never been held longer than a few decades before it was taken by another family.

Kush was a land that had little contact with the calamity brought buy the elder gods which allowed the people to flourish and become more culturally aware. They mined gold and used it for status. Each warlord developed their own specialties when it came to slaughtering their enemies and with their superior smithing, they created many bladed weapons not seen in the world.

Their skill in war and their advanced culture spread across the region, influencing Kemet and Ethiopia. Gold became the universal status symbol and Kush demanded a lot of respect from outsiders due to their monopoly on the precious metal. While the leadership of Kush is never permanent, the warlords have agreed to never allow a foreign leader to infiltrate their lands.

8bd44d16-0f97-43d6-8c9d-bc7322bffb23_zpsevqn8pxl.png