President Biden Calls for Ban on AI Voice Impersonations During State of the Union

bnew

Veteran
Daps

President Biden Calls for Ban on AI Voice Impersonations During State of the Union​

By J. Kim Murphy

Plus Icon

joe biden

Win McNamee/Getty Images

President Biden included a nod to a rising issue in the entertainment and tech industries during his State of the Union address Thursday evening, calling for a ban on AI voice impersonations.

“Here at home, I have signed over 400 bipartisan bills. There’s more to pass my unity agenda,” President Biden said, beginning to list off a series of different proposals that he hopes to address if elected to a second term. “Strengthen penalties on fentanyl trafficking, pass bipartisan privacy legislation to protect our children online, harness the promise of AI to protect us from peril, ban AI voice impersonations and more.”

The president did not elaborate on the types of guardrails or penalties that he would plan to institute around the rising technology, or if it would extend to the entertainment industry. AI was a peak concern for SAG-AFTRA during the actors union’s negotiations with and strike against the major studios last year. The talks eventually finished with an agreement that established consent and compensation requirements for productions to utilize AI to replicate actors’ likenesses and voices. However, the deal did not block the studios from training AI systems to create “synthetic” performers that bear no resemblance to any real people.

Biden’s State of the Union address also saw a series of small hiccups from heckling Congress members, including Georgia’s Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene. Greene donned a “Make America Great Again” hat to the proceedings; later, the broadcast cut to reveal that Greene was yelling during Biden’s speech.

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
:mjlol:
They prolly perfecting one to dub his speeches with to carry on the illusion that he's capable of being coherent and competent in person like they claim he is off camera, but thinks it's there to steal his job.​

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
:mjlol:
They prolly perfecting one to dub his speeches with to carry on the illusion that he's capable of being coherent and competent in person like they claim he is off camera, but thinks it's there to steal his job.​

In case you didn't notice, he just gave a great speech.

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
In case you didn't notice, he just gave a great speech.​

:yeshrug:
I'll take your word for it. I've seen him make far more 'cloud brain' speeches than coherent ones, to stand by my statement while accepting yours.​

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
good

now do something about AI decimating jobs

:sas2:
No he shouldn’t that’s inevitable human progress. We have to accept many jobs will
go the way of the dodo bird or as I should say the milkman:yeshrug: the world has changed. Universal basic income should be the bigger focus.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether

:yeshrug:
I'll take your word for it. I've seen him make far more 'cloud brain' speeches than coherent ones, to stand by my statement while accepting yours.​

SOHH like..

Have you seen any parts of the speech?

I'd even go as far as:

If you didn't see it, check it out.

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's mad cause the AI president videos make him look like a demented drone.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/1
If you haven't disabled voice authentication for your bank account and had a conversation with your family about AI voice impersonation yet, now would be a good time.