Property Owners: Questions About City/County Tax Practices

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Today, I was looking at my moms rentals taxes -- and I noticed the city annually charges $200 for Rubbish.

But, the area that the properties are in do not use all or most of the mandatory bill offers due to location and need.

The area is low-income and — median income is $27k — and some owners are already behind on taxes and trying to make it.

Then they add the $200 on their tax bill — if not paid by the end of year. That leads to interest and additional fees added when they finally pay their bill. So, a $400 tax bill can be $800 the next year.

They have lots of fukked up charges added that make it hard for people to pay their property taxes - which leads to people losing their home.

For instance, Michigan has an foreclosure fee is a charge of $375 per year you are behind plus a additional interest charge.

What can be done about this type of stuff?

Black people agree losing their Homes due to this.

Last edited:

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
Depending on where you live utility fees are usually handled at the municipal, township, or county level, whom which should appear on the bill. You would have to get a significant part of the local population to simultaneously complain about the costs. Personally speaking $200/yr ain't sh*t for collecting your trash, that's almost $4/wk. If you can't afford $200/yr you probably should sell that property :francis: Now in regards to interest and fees, a lot of times your local municipality/township/county will waive late fees and/or give you an extended payment plan if you can show hardship. Now if you feel that your taxes are already high enough to where the trash fees should be included, that's a different story and one you and your neighbors will have to take up with whomoever is issuing the bill.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Depending on where you live utility fees are usually handled at the municipal, township, or county level, whom which should appear on the bill. You would have to get a significant part of the local population to simultaneously complain about the costs. Personally speaking $200/yr ain't sh*t for collecting your trash, that's almost $4/wk. If you can't afford $200/yr you probably should sell that property :francis: Now in regards to interest and fees, a lot of times your local municipality/township/county will waive late fees and/or give you an extended payment plan if you can show hardship. Now if you feel that your taxes are already high enough to where the trash fees should be included, that's a different story and one you and your neighbors will have to take up with whomoever is issuing the bill.
Thanks for responding!

This isn’t but about me or my family — but it’s about a community of Black people - a community comprised of regular home owners and rental property owners as well - who are being over charged and having charges and fees added on to the their tax bills.

Sell to who? And then place themselves in a possibly homelss situation -since their homes are valued so low.

Again, with most being very- low income and barely making it. This should be an opt-out or income based amount. A cash value assessment.

I actually spoke to the ACLU today — as they are/were engaged in a lawsuit in the same state for the same reasons - Black people being incorrectly taxed plus having extras added with interest causing them to lose their homes. Sometimes over a water or trash bill that had added up with fees and charges.

This is pretty serious in our communities. People are losing their homes.

They will give people payment plans - of up to three years but they don’t waive anything and add on even more fees. It’s bad.

I don’t live in the state but it’s my home state and what I see happening is sickening.

ACLU, NAACP LDF Sue Wayne County to End Racially Discriminatory Tax Foreclosures in Detroit | ACLU of Michigan

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...ssf/2017/08/activists_suing_detroit_wayne.amp

Last edited:

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
Thanks for responding!

This isn’t but about me or my family — but it’s about a community of Black people - a community comprised of regular home owners and rental property owners as well - who are being over charged and having charges and fees added on to the their tax bills.

Sell to who? And then place themselves in a possibly homelss situation -since their homes are valued so low.

Again, with most being very- low income and barely making it. This should be an opt-out or income based amount. A cash value assessment.

I actually spoke to the ACLU today — as they are/were engaged in a lawsuit in the same state for the same reasons - Black people being incorrectly taxed plus having extras added with interest causing them to lose their homes. Sometimes over a water or trash bill that had added up with fees and charges.

This is pretty serious in our communities. People are losing their homes.

They will give people payment plans - of up to three years but they don’t waive anything and add on even more fees. It’s bad.

I don’t live in the state but it’s my home state and what I see happening is sickening.

ACLU, NAACP LDF Sue Wayne County to End Racially Discriminatory Tax Foreclosures in Detroit | ACLU of Michigan

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...ssf/2017/08/activists_suing_detroit_wayne.amp

Why don't you get a company to bid on the garbage disposal? I highly recommend Republic Services personally. Then with that bid the community can go argue to switch contractors if the bid is lower than what they are being charged now. The issue with having low value properties is that the tax isn't enough to cover these bills. If the property tax is only $1,000/yr for example it's not enough to keep the county running, so they gotta add all the bills on top. Are they paying less for garbage disposal over in Oakland? And if so what's the average tax amount per home over there compared to the community of concern?

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
Also having an income based amount would mean the government would have to subsidize the difference between market price and what homeowners can afford. You have to remember homeownership is a privilege not a right. I know it's tough to hear but unless the community is going to own and manager their own landfill it might not be much cheaper. Again, start with getting quotes from another contractor, and then compare your cost relative to your tax base and the cost of the outlying areas compared to their tax base to see if anything is being unfairly charged.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Why don't you get a company to bid on the garbage disposal? I highly recommend Republic Services personally. Then with that bid the community can go argue to switch contractors if the bid is lower than what they are being charged now. The issue with having low value properties is that the tax isn't enough to cover these bills. If the property tax is only $1,000/yr for example it's not enough to keep the county running, so they gotta add all the bills on top. Are they paying less for garbage disposal over in Oakland? And if so what's the average tax amount per home over there compared to the community of concern?

This isn’t a issue for me - but a city/township area of my hometown and it’s happening all over Michigan and in other states in black areas.

I am researching everything now - I am going to check out the accessed values and taxable values for the homes on that side of town.

And next time I’m back home im going to set up a meeting with the city accessor and city council.

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You might have to mute the philanthropic side within and look at this as opportunities to snatch properties

You aren't responsible for peoples choices breh