"Ranked, Undefeated Boxers Sent To The Bushes" Thread: Luis Rosa (rest in bushes, 11/10/17)

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Ohara Davies, 15-0 (12 KOs), ranked #9 IBF & #13 WBC loses to Josh Taylor, 9-0 (8 KOs) via TKO7 on July 8th, 2017

Josh Taylor Drops, Stops Ohara Davies in Seven Rounds

Josh Taylor grabbed the victory he hopes will propel him towards the big time after pulling off a stunning stoppage win over Ohara Davies at Glasgow's Braehead Arena.

Both men entered the ring looking to protect unbeaten records but knew the spoils would likely include an accelerated path to potential world-title shots.

And it was Prestonpans puncher Taylor who extended his winning run to 10 fights - nine of them coming by knock-out - following a dominant display against his Hackney rival.

josh-taylor_3.jpg

He put Davies down in the third before finishing the job four rounds later as the Commonwealth champion's power and precision proved too much.

The loss is the first setback of his 16-fight pro career but Taylor can now target some major paydays against world-level opposition.

The bad-tempered build-up to the fight saw the pair engage in a bitter war of words over social media.

They could barely disguise their dislike of each other at Friday's weigh-in and had to be pulled apart just in case the action got under way a day early.

And there was plenty of spite on show as he celebrated his win, aiming an offensive hand gesture in Davies' direction.

The WBC silver champion entered the ring to the sound of a funeral march before pausing to soak up the boos from Taylor's raucous home support.

Yet it was the 'Tartan Tornado' who sparked the first cheer of the night as he landed a crunching left uppercut on Davies' midriff.

The Scot's footwork made him tricky to pin down while his work up close was precise.

Davies was struggling to keep up and was forced to sink to his knee with 10 seconds of the third remaining after sustaining a series of sickening body shots.

The Londoner was saved by the bell but Taylor continued with his barrage into the fourth, although he did leave himself open to the odd one coming back.

Davies finally managed to back up his opponent in round five but again Taylor's movement saw him get out of trouble before he thudded a right hook into Davies' cheek.

Taylor looked set to snuff out his rival as the fight inched towards halfway but Davies threw out a couple of reminders of his threat, slamming two rights into Taylor's temple.

Referee Howard Foster had to tell both men to hush their verbals at the start of the seventh but it was Taylor who had the final say, putting Davies down again with a left-right combination.

He was up in time for the count but showed no interest in continuing as Taylor raced in again, leaving Foster with no option but to wave off the contest.

Taylor has set his sights on an all-Scottish showdown with Ricky Burns and wants to establish himself as Scotland's new ring king by taking down former three weight world champion.

Taylor told Channel 5: "Ricky is a great fighter, was a hero of mine. I think it would be a great fight for the whole of Scotland and it would sell out an arena or something."

His trainer Shane McGuigan added: "He can fight Ricky Burns and the winner fights for a world title. It'll be a huge fight in Scotland."

Burns revealed earlier this week he is in talks with Manchester's Anthony Crolla over a potential bout later this year.

But he appeared to admit he would be open to discussions with Taylor's manager Barry McGuigan.

"There's been a lot of talk about my next fight but nothing is set in stone," said the Coatbridge fighter, who watched the fight from ringside. "I know Barry has been calling me out, I'm sure if you put a serious offer out..."

McGuigan predicted a TV audience of two million would tune in for the Braehead clash.

But he believes those kind of numbers will only continue if he can match up his man with quality opposition.

He said: "Ricky is an amazing guy and an amazing fighter but their paths have to pass at some point. What we did today was provide a free-to-air platform on Channel 5 and we want to continue that relationship, but we want fighters going at each other."

The build-up to the fight was marred by a bitter Twitter spat between the fighters.

But it was Taylor who had the last word with a dominant display.

His early barrage saw Davies sink to his knee late in the third round. He held on for four more but could take no more after sustaining a vicious left-right combo from the Scot.

"I knew my superior boxing skills would come into play," said Taylor. "I have always said that. I came out nice and easy, slow, to see what sort of power he had.

"I knew I could take my time and pick my shots better."

Josh Taylor Drops, Stops Ohara Davies in Seven Rounds - Boxing News

O.D. = Officially Done?:ohhh:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
@Newzz We gotta up this with Aleem :wow:

He doesnt get bushed, luckily:wow:, because Centeno Jr was ranked #10 WBC at the time of the fight, so he managed to escape bushing:ehh:

This thread is only for fights, from January 2015 and on, where a ranked, undefeated Boxer loses to an unranked opponent:obama:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Luis Rosa, 23-0 (11 KOs), ranked #10 WBC, loses to Yuandale Evans, 19-1 (14 KOs), via SD on November 10th, 2017

Yuandale Evans Edges Luis Rosa By Split Decision in Slugfest

By Keith Idec

Yuandale Evans earned his redemption in his hometown Friday night in Cleveland.

A determined, tough Evans withstood Luis Rosa’s relentless pressure and edged him in a very competitive, physical featherweight fight to win a 10-round split decision. The southpaw’s win against the previously undefeated Rosa was his biggest since Dominican knockout artist Javier Fortuna knocked out Evans in the first round of their April 2012 fight.

Two judges – Pat Casey (96-94) and Larry Hazzard Jr. (97-93) – scored the fight for the 28-year-old Evans (20-1, 14 KOs). One judge, Phil Rogers (96-94), had it for the 26-year-old Rosa (23-1-1, 11 KOs, 1 NC), of New Haven, Connecticut.

yuandale-evans.jpg

Evans’ win was broadcast by Showtime as the main event of a four-fight “ShoBox” installment from the Masonic Temple & Performing Arts Center.

Rosa and Evans sensed the fight was very close entering the 10th round and spent much of it trying to knock each other out.

Referee Shawn Clark warned Rosa for pushing Evans to the canvas late in the ninth round. Clark also had to separate them after the bell rang to end the ninth.

Evans had boxed well before Rosa drilled him with an overhand right that wobbled Evans with 2:01 left in the eighth round. He survived that trouble and a re-energized Evans rocked Rosa with a right hand while throwing a flurry of shots at his opponent’s head later in the eighth.

Rosa paid for moving backward, with his hands down, as Evans connected with a right-left combination just after the midway mark of the seventh round. Evans landed a right-left combination as Rosa plowed forward with about 20 seconds to go in the sixth round.

Evans didn’t move as much in the fifth round as he did during the fourth, which enabled Rosa to land more punches and bounce back from a round Evans seemingly won.

Evans boxed well at times in the fourth round by using his jab and stepping to the side before Rosa could smother him. Rosa never stopped moving forward, but often at the expense of defense.

Rosa and Evans fought inside for an extended period during the middle of the third round, when each fighter landed his fair share of clean punches.

A straight left hand by Evans knocked an off-balance Rosa into the ropes with 1:15 to go in the second round. Rosa landed two solid right hands just before the end of the second round, when Evans had his back against the ropes.

Rosa and Evans began trading power punches just 15 seconds into their fight. Evans eventually tried to work off his jab in the first round, but the rugged Rosa wouldn’t allow him to keep his distance for long in an action-packed first round.