Relocating for a job: has anyone here done it before?

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I never did it before until July of this year. Move from Chicago to Dallas. The reason is cuz my wife job transferred her down here in January. So me and my kids were in Chicago solo and I lost my job in April. I ended up getting two job offers by late may. One in Chicago. One here. There one here paid 10k more than my previous job. The one in Chicago paid 15k less than my old job. So its a 25k difference between the two. Kinda forced my hand to move even tho I didn't want to.

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
I never did it before until July of this year. Move from Chicago to Dallas. The reason is cuz my wife job transferred her down here in January. So me and my kids were in Chicago solo and I lost my job in April. I ended up getting two job offers by late may. One in Chicago. One here. There one here paid 10k more than my previous job. The one in Chicago paid 15k less than my old job. So its a 25k difference between the two. Kinda forced my hand to move even tho I didn't want to.

were you born and raised? and how was the transition? i know its different because you have a fam.

I left the NYC\NJ and moved to the DMV 3 years ago.

how did you pull that off? do you miss nYc?

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
I moved from Philly to Minnesota. They paid 10 k for relocation. so that made the move easier. Was able to fly in and look for a spot. also paid to get my car shipped. My advice is if they aren't paying for relocation, don't be afraid to sell some stuff and start over in your new city. Too many people try to take every thing with them and its just too much. Take your car, your clothes and valuables and call it a day.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
good luck breh. Hopefully things go well

job wise it's going great. but I HATE not being in my own house and being away from family and friends. at least its still 75 degrees in november here tho, so that's a positive.

I'd love to go back if I could find a comparable job back in chicago.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
Military so yeah it's part of the job. The government covers all expenses but the contractors suck and will jack up your stuff tossing it around.

You will live and die by location in the military, and 85% of the time, it's all luck and chance. You can end up in awesome places like Oahu, Phoenix, San Antonio, Japan :whew:...or you could end up in Clovis, New Mexico or Minot, North Dakota. :picard:

NegaDuck

"F*ck Duckberg ho!"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eastside of Duckton
Yup...from San Antonio to Dallas for double the pay. I regretted initially cause I didn't like the gig, but I got hired at another company in Dallas that I'm excited about so it all worked out.