Rise of Kenyan silicon Savannah.

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Im permanently based in Lagos. Moved here from San Jose in 2013. There are just better opportunities for me personally here.

Electricity still a problem. A huge problem.....The main problem and unfortunately there are no solutions in site right now. At no point has the demand ever been met, yet everyday the demand keeps increasing.....its a nightmare, everybody(that can afford it) has alternative power arrangements. Stand by Generators, diesel costs. Some areas have it worse than others too. So some folks can get 18-20hrs a day while others have 0. Depends on your location.

Traffic still a problem. (They're building more bridges and a rail system. It will ease up with time. I have hope for this one)

Your right about East Africa(with help from the Chinese). They have been getting shyt done putting oil rich Nigeria to shame: Chinese Open New Railway from Djibouti to Ethiopia

Its a model we're trying to follow right down to the tee. China already signed on long term and are gonna build us the following:

A deep sea port
A free trade area(Lekki Free Trade zone)
Some refineries
Some Navy bases
Another international airport
Nationwide rail network

All within 5-10 years from now.
China will own 30-40% of revenues for a long while while Lagos owns the rest and I would hope to God Lagos gets 100% of the revenues later.

Investments in Lekki Free Trade Zone hit N100 billion - Premium Times Nigeria
UPDATE: Nigeria secures $7.5 billion loan from China for rail project - Amaechi - Premium Times Nigeria

Combine this with Eko Atlantic and some decent leadership(which we hopefully will have for a while moving forward)
Its gonna be a brighter day.....15-20 or so years away from now though.

Its going to take a while before social consciousness really sinks in. Things like renewable energy and ride sharing and recycling are not taken seriously at all.....but one thing at a time.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Kenyan Excellence. :banderas: With some political stability (less focus on tribalism) we can position ourselves to catch up to Nigeria or become their economic equivalent in East and Central Africa. The only issue that might arise is if this is a venture being sponsored/owned and controlled by foreigners (Indians in particular).

foreigners can always be dealt with when the time comes :manny:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Im permanently based in Lagos. Moved here from San Jose in 2013. There are just better opportunities for me personally here.

Electricity still a problem. A huge problem.....The main problem and unfortunately there are no solutions in site right now. At no point has the demand ever been met, yet everyday the demand keeps increasing.....its a nightmare, everybody(that can afford it) has alternative power arrangements. Stand by Generators, diesel costs. Some areas have it worse than others too. So some folks can get 18-20hrs a day while others have 0. Depends on your location.

Traffic still a problem. (They're building more bridges and a rail system. It will ease up with time. I have hope for this one)

Your right about East Africa(with help from the Chinese). They have been getting shyt done putting oil rich Nigeria to shame: Chinese Open New Railway from Djibouti to Ethiopia

Its a model we're trying to follow right down to the tee. China already signed on long term and are gonna build us the following:

A deep sea port
A free trade area(Lekki Free Trade zone)
Some refineries
Some Navy bases
Another international airport
Nationwide rail network

All within 5-10 years from now.
China will own 30-40% of revenues for a long while while Lagos owns the rest and I would hope to God Lagos gets 100% of the revenues later.

Investments in Lekki Free Trade Zone hit N100 billion - Premium Times Nigeria
UPDATE: Nigeria secures $7.5 billion loan from China for rail project - Amaechi - Premium Times Nigeria

Combine this with Eko Atlantic and some decent leadership(which we hopefully will have for a while moving forward)
Its gonna be a brighter day.....15-20 or so years away from now though.

Its going to take a while before social consciousness really sinks in. Things like renewable energy and ride sharing and recycling are not taken seriously at all.....but one thing at a time.

I assume electricity is an issue for the local companies and not really the multinationals who set up operations there?

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I assume electricity is an issue for the local companies and not really the multinationals who set up operations there?
multinationals don't sweat it at all,some build their own independent power plants even local companies don't sweat it. It's just extra overhead for them. Diesel and generator maintenance costs.

Daps
Reppin
Stoic disciples
Kenya is about to be a leader in renewable off-grid energy (electricity) that's why I have TONS of respect for that country. It seems like they are starting to get it. Every project such renewable energy or mobile banking has served some type of everyday purpose.
Kenya has so much electricity we export power to neighboring countries. I can't remember the last time we had a black-out.

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
Another "white elephant" project that is not going to help the economy and the overwhelming vast majority of the population in addition this Eko Atlantic project will displace poor people. Nigeria can't even get the basic such as electricity right there is no way in hell they are going to pull this off. In addition if this is created, the rent is about to be ridiculously high in a country where you have to pay rent a year in advance to move in.

At least with all the tech projects in Kenya the vast majority of the population benefits whether it be consumers or creation of employment.
well, they started on it along time ago. And it's not like this is gonna be done in 5 years. more like 10-15 years and little by little.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
well, they started on it along time ago. And it's not like this is gonna be done in 5 years. more like 10-15 years and little by little.

The reason why it should not be done in the first place. Focus on the basics electricity, roads, infrastructure, rail etc... If a project is going to take 10-15 years make sure it's a project that is going to have MAXIMUM impact on the MAXIMUM amount of the population (i.e solar farm, significant on-the grid electricity rennovation) and not some luxury project of high-end housing that 1% of Lagosians are going to benefit or the expat community.

This project has too much of a Dubai-copy feel to it the only difference is that Middle Eastern elite/leaders (i.e UAE, Qatar) overall are more serious than African ones and have brought significant amount of wealth to a great amount of their citizens even with their small size country. And yea UAE and Qatar's majority population are not living in squalor as a result of "white elephant' projects neither are they experiencing constant lack of electricity and lack of basic goods/services.

Last edited:

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nigeria won't do sh!t but funnel this money into coverup scandals

:salute:to the Kenyans though