Sandra Day O’Connor dead

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
2000_Sandra-Day-OConnor.jpg

Pictured: Justice O'Connor, seen here observing the unanimous election of Senator Palpatine

Sandra Day O’Connor, the first female U.S. Supreme Court justice, whose independence on a court that was often ideologically divided made her the pivotal vote in numerous closely contested cases and one of the most powerful women of her era, died Dec. 1 in Phoenix. She was 93.
The cause was complications from advanced dementia, probably Alzheimer’s disease, and a respiratory illness, according to an announcement by the court. Justice O’Connor had said in October 2018 that she had dementia and was exiting public life.

In her nearly quarter-century as a justice, sworn in on Sept. 25, 1981, after being appointed by President Ronald Reagan, to her retirement on Jan. 31, 2006, to care for her husband, who had Alzheimer’s, she tried to avoid what she called “giant steps you’ll live to regret.”
She rejected the idea of eliminating the right to abortion, for example, in part because “an entire generation has come of age” relying on it, she wrote. Instead, she co-wrote the principal opinion in Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey (1992), setting a new standard for judging abortion cases but reaffirming the core holding of Roe v. Wade, which legalized abortion in 1973.
This a bad week for the old ass old guard.

Kind of interesting that i haven’t seen the outpouring of tears RBG had :jbhmm:

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
2000_Sandra-Day-OConnor.jpg

Pictured: Justice O'Connor, seen here observing the unanimous election of Senator Palpatine

This a bad week for the old ass old guard.

Kind of interesting that i haven’t seen the outpouring of tears RBG had :jbhmm:

Come on that's not a comparison. RBG was an active Supreme Court member and her death meant a republican president would replace her. Do I think a lot of the reactions to RBG were disingenuous and downright stupid, given the context (ie her refusing to retire when Obama did everything possible to get her to, only to act reckless and die when Trump was in office)? Sure. But it was a major political moment regardless that will have ramifications for decades.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Do I think a lot of the reactions to RBG were disingenuous and downright stupid, given the context (ie her refusing to retire when Obama did everything possible to get her to, only to act reckless and die when Trump was in office)? Sure.
that's all i meant. A lot of the reactions were talking about her being a pioneer and revolutionary and role model...don't really expect to hear any of that today.

I have no material opinion on SDO

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
that's all i meant. A lot of the reactions were talking about her being a pioneer and revolutionary and role model...don't really expect to hear any of that today.

I have no material opinion on SDO
RBG was mostly a progressive. Sandra was a moderate swing vote so she was an icon to neither side.

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
:francis: Death came in threes on the politician side of the coin. Reading Sandra's track record and I don't know if I should piss on grave, eat a pack, pay respects, or visit a library :dwillhuh: