School choice gutted Detroit’s public schools. The rest of the country is next.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
No, it didn't. It talked about one particular school that was good, in an area of otherwise shytty public schools.
What, related to school performance, indicated that Oakman was a good school?

I'm dead ass not trying to antagonize, I don't want to misinterpret it. Where did it indicate it was a good school?

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
Write off a city's experience because of your political leanings, Brehs.

Ignore the new Secretary of Educations impact on Detroit, Brehs.
You really couldn't have proven my point any better...

I said nothing about the experience of Detroit students or DeVos. My statement had to do with the nature of the debate as opposed to the debate itself, and you did exactly what I'm talking about. Public education is just another talking point for people who only care about winning the argument. Republicans condemn public school not because they care about kids or education, but because it serves their broader political and economic aims, and Democrats do the same with charter schools.

You say my comments are disingenuous because you assume I'm pushing some pro-Trump/pro-Republican narrative, which is ridiculous. I'm a public school teacher. DeVos and what she represents present a direct threat to my personal well being and how I provide for my family. If I were to approach this from a purely self-interested perspective then I would pick up the pitch fork and demonize all things Republican. But, she's just a symptom of a larger problem that I've seen play out my entire career, and the biggest losers are American students. They're pawns in a partisan con, which you are perpetuating with posts like this.

The simple fact is that public education has failed, particularly in urban districts, and charter schools have failed. Blind partisanship requires you to focus on only one side to win the argument...which is your real motivation. If the discussion on education was genuine, and not just another talking point to win the partisan argument, then we could get at the real problem that is plaguing American education. The discussion is not genuine, though, and you just proved it.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
You really couldn't have proven my point any better...

I said nothing about the experience of Detroit students or DeVos. My statement had to do with the nature of the debate as opposed to the debate itself, and you did exactly what I'm talking about. Public education is just another talking point for people who only care about winning the argument. Republicans condemn public school not because they care about kids or education, but because it serves their broader political and economic aims, and Democrats do the same with charter schools.

You say my comments are disingenuous because you assume I'm pushing some pro-Trump/pro-Republican narrative, which is ridiculous. I'm a public school teacher. DeVos and what she represents present a direct threat to my personal well being and how I provide for my family. If I were to approach this from a purely self-interested perspective then I would pick up the pitch fork and demonize all things Republican. But, she's just a symptom of a larger problem that I've seen play out my entire career, and the biggest losers are American students. They're pawns in a partisan con, which you are perpetuating with posts like this.

The simple fact is that public education has failed, particularly in urban districts, and charter schools have failed. Blind partisanship requires you to focus on only one side to win the argument...which is your real motivation. If the discussion on education was genuine, and not just another talking point to win the partisan argument, then we could get at the real problem that is plaguing American education. The discussion is not genuine, though, and you just proved it.

You never say anything.

Keep thinking you're above everything. I can tell you think you've got it all figured out.

If you're young you better look into another career path.

:laff:

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
But if I posted "BURN TRUMP ALIVE!" you'd dap and rep me up.

I'm not even in here arguing from some dem position of conservatives railroading unions, and the dem base.

Which we both know is real.

:heh:

Charter schools are a scam and it's simple in my eyes. Charter schools play by a completely different set of rules and take money away from public schools. Charter schools have been shown to not outperform public schools when they're already being judged by less stringent standards. It's a money grab. Everything doesn't have to be about politics in education sometimes the facts speak for themselves.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
School Choice Voucher is the best thing possible for black kids .
How so? The best schools just raise their prices so that vouchers aren't effective or they reach capacity and other schools open up or take in those same previously disenfranchised students for a profit, but they don't actually receive any better education. This isn't my theory. This is fact.

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
I'm not even in here arguing from some dem position of conservatives railroading unions, and the dem base.

Which we both know is real.

:heh:

Charter schools are a scam and it's simple in my eyes. Charter schools play by a completely different set of rules and take money away from public schools. Charter schools have been shown to not outperform public schools when they're already being judged by less stringent standards. It's a money grab. Everything doesn't have to be about politics in education sometimes the facts speak for themselves.
Agreed...charter schools are a scam. Public schools under the current model are failing as well. Don't pretend you don't see Vice's angle in the article you posted.

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks