Senate Dems forcing vote On net neutrality!

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I was thinking about this topic and Dems making it a campaign issue going forward the other day.

Let's say this goes no where, Dems need to keep it on as a major part of their platform in the future.
They have to.
I expect to see some good ads about it.

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
The only place where freedom and the free market works and Republicans want to turn that into a Corporate Welfare Wonderland too. :hhh:
I'm not trying to start shyt - genuine question: If you believe Russian hackers significantly impacted the 2016 election would that be an argument against the cyber free market?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I'm not trying to start shyt - genuine question: If you believe Russian hackers significantly impacted the 2016 election would that be an argument against the cyber free market?

Not really. It affected the politics not the free market. In fact the media has more to do with that than the internet. The internet was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
Not really. It affected the politics not the free market. In fact the media has more to do with that than the internet. The internet was just the straw that broke the camel's back.
I guess the theory would be our susceptibility to political influence of that nature would be an example of free market forces violating constitutionality and, therefore, calls for regulation.

Not sure exactly what that regulation would look like, though.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was thinking about this topic and Dems making it a campaign issue going forward the other day.

Let's say this goes no where, Dems need to keep it on as a major part of their platform in the future.
Based on what I have read, this one pretty much no chance of going anywhere since even if it gets out of the House, it will get squashed by the Senate because of the demographics. Even if it, by some miracle, it passes the Senate, Trump will veto it.

The long term play is that net neutrality is popular among citizens (especially young ones) and so when Republicans have to publicly go on record as voting against the bills, the Dems can use it in their ads and (hopefully) burn the Republicans.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
California lawmakers are one step closer to bringing back Obama-era net neutrality protections

California’s state Assembly voted 58-17 on Thursday to advance a bill, called S.B. 822, that would implement the strongest net neutrality provisions in the U.S.

The bill now heads back to the Senate for final approval. If a vote is not held by end of day tomorrow — the deadline for lawmakers to pass any legislation until 2019 — it won’t get the official green, or red, light until next year.

The bill, written by Democratic Senator Scott Wiener, would not only bring back Obama-era net neutrality rules ousted by the FCC in December, but go a step further, adding new protections for internet users. The bill prohibits internet service providers from blocking or throttling lawful content, apps, services or non-harmful devices. Plus, it bans paid prioritization, the practice of directly or indirectly favoring some traffic over other traffic in exchange for money, typically.

Here’s where it goes above and beyond the policy developed under the Obama administration: The bill also bans zero rating, which allows service providers to charge customers for data use on some websites but not on others. If you want to dive deeper into the nitty-gritty, take a look at the bill here.