Senate Healthcare Bill Thread - UPDATE: 9/26 Graham-Cassidy Bill is Offically DEAD! Free Daps/Reps!

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
It needs to be the sole message for 2018.
It should've been the message of 2016!

But there are too many democrats who are afraid of showing intellectual proficiency on this subject matter. To admit that they were personally wrong about the healthcare market for the past 30 years, is to admit that they shouldn't be in charge of making this decision for their constituents.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Superstar
Daps

But there are too many democrats who are afraid of showing intellectual proficiency on this subject matter. To admit that they were personally wrong about the healthcare market for the past 30 years, is to admit that they shouldn't be in charge of making this decision for their constituents.

Hillary wasn’t going to say “we need to fix Obamacare or else premiums will rise”. And she didn’t slam that message when she needed to. Then October came and news about premiums increasing by 100+% had her going on defense while trying to explain Trump’s a mysoginist.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
Hillary wasn’t going to say “we need to fix Obamacare or else premiums will rise”. And she didn’t slam that message when she needed to. Then October came and news about premiums increasing by 100+% had her going on defense while trying to explain Trump’s a mysoginist.
:francis: Its not getting any better from a messaging perspective. I went on the /r/politics reddit after this news broke. NFL kneeling, trump is an idiot, trump tweets, Russia investigation, etc type of threads were at the top of the page and I had to get to like the third page to find the first top story on this shyt.

Last edited:

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
Hate to break it to you bro, but the democrats have sooooo much ground to cover if they want to win the healthcare battle.

People have been calling into the marketplace asking what their options for healthcare are since Trump has repealed Obamacare :francis:

Yes - let me repeat that. A percentage of Americans (unfortunately our most vulnerable Americans) believe that the ACA is no longer in existence and many of them would've skipped the upcoming OEP if they hadn't called in ahead of time and received the news.

So knowing that, it makes no sense for me to extrapolate on how terrible of a look it is for people to applaud McCain, Murkowski, and Collins. Especially when you consider - and as I pointed out in previous threads - that Republicans have been trying to gut CSRs and tax credits for 7 years now. If the republican voter base hasn't caught up in 7 years, they're not going to catch up in 12 months.

2018 is looking more and more like a failure.
Its shyt like this that makes me seriously consider a move to Canada. I'm not even joking or saying that half heartedly. I've dedicated some time to finding out the process. Hell once i graduate, i'll probably visit at least once to get a feel for the place before making any decision.

Really the only option at this point is medicare for all or some universal program that EVERYONE benefits from. You need something that no matter who gets into power, there will be political consequences on ALL SIDES in messing with an entitlement. Unfortunately, the gap between not poor enough but not rich enough to affording rising premiums allowed Republicans an in to mislead and create hyperbolic hysteria related to ACA among their base.

ACA won't work without major modifications to further cement it in law because it will always be a political football and constantly be messed with like we're seeing now.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
24 hours in, Trump's mixed signals on Alexander-Murray

From 'I'm not going to do it' to 'a very good solution' in 11 minutes.

By Lily Mihalik | 10/18/17 5:00 PM EDT

Trump swung wildly on whether he'd support the bipartisan Alexander-Murray Obamacare deal. The deal aims to stabilize Obamacare insurance markets by restoring subsidies Trump cut off less than a week ago. Here he is in his own words:

ADVERTISEMENT

offtrack.png

Tuesday, 1:59 p.m.
During a news conference in the Rose Garden with Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, the president was skeptical

IN HIS OWN WORDS
“So when I knocked out the hundreds of millions of dollars a month being paid back to the insurance companies by politicians – I must tell you – that wanted me to continue to pay this, I said I’m not going to do it. This is money that goes to the insurance companies to line their pockets, to raise up their stock prices. And they’ve had a record run. They’ve had an incredible run, and it’s not appropriate.”

ontrack.png

11 minutes later
But in the very same news conference, Trump pivoted when asked about the bipartisan proposal

IN HIS OWN WORDS
“Yes, we have been involved. And this is a short-term deal because we think, ultimately, block grants going to the states is going to be the answer. That’s a very good solution. We think it’s going to not only save money but give people much better health care with a very, very much smaller premium spike – and you look at what has gone on with that – also, much lower deductibles so they can use it.

Lamar has been working very, very hard with the Democratic – his colleagues on the other side, and Patty Murray is one of them, in particular. … we either have the votes or we are very close to having the votes. And we will get the votes for having, really, the potential of having great health care in our country.”

middletrack.png

Less than an hour later, 2:56 p.m.
After staking out conflicting positions, Trump reverted back to what he does best: blaming the Democrats.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

Follow
Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

Any increase in ObamaCare premiums is the fault of the Democrats for giving us a "product" that never had a chance of working.

5:56 PM - Oct 17, 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy

ADVERTISEMENT

middletrack.png

Tuesday evening
The nightcap came Tuesday evening. In an appearance at The Heritage Foundation, Trump further muddied his position.

IN HIS OWN WORDS
“While I commend the bipartisan work done by Sens. Alexander and Murray — and I do commend it — I continue to believe Congress must find a solution to the Obamacare mess instead of providing bailouts to insurance companies.”

offtrack.png

Wednesday, 6:41 a.m.
Back on Twitter early Wednesday Trump offered support for the process — but not the bill

IN HIS OWN WORDS

Follow
Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

I am supportive of Lamar as a person & also of the process, but I can never support bailing out ins co's who have made a fortune w/ O'Care.

9:41 AM - Oct 18, 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy

middletrack.png

Today, 11:34 a.m.
Then, while meeting Wednesday with the Senate Finance Committee on tax reform, Trump seemed open — sort of — to a bipartisan process. But in the same breath, he warned he wasn’t going to “enrich” health insurers – a code word for “nope.”

IN HIS OWN WORDS
“We’ll see the bipartisan. We’re going to see the bipartisan. And Lamar Alexander is working on it very hard from our side. And if something can happen, that’s fine. But I won’t do anything to enrich the insurance companies because right now the insurance companies are being enriched. They’ve been enriched by Obamacare like nothing anybody has ever seen before. I am not going to do anythingto enrich the insurance companies.”

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
Yeah it was obvious he was full of shyt. He is not going to pass any bill unless it destroys Obamacare.

Lets think like a Republican diehard. I hate ACA and think government ruins everything. Rand Paul is my hero until he becomes normalized and then I desire someone even more far right.

So you're telling me you're going to do something besides pull money from ACA? You're actually going to "stabilize it". fukk that, vote someone in who will not only repeal it but go around hospitals and rip out poor patient's IVs and disconnect their ventilators.

So this is who Trump appeals to, and he has no interest in saving ACA. Bannon already told the game. They want it to implode, consequences be damned.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

Americans do not want universal healthcare.

Stop looking in the mirror and actually talk to people.

You're not representing reality.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Yeah it was obvious he was full of shyt. He is not going to pass any bill unless it destroys Obamacare.

Lets think like a Republican diehard. I hate ACA and think government ruins everything. Rand Paul is my hero until he becomes normalized and then I desire someone even more far right.

So you're telling me you're going to do something besides pull money from ACA? You're actually going to "stabilize it". fukk that, vote someone in who will not only repeal it but go around hospitals and rip out poor patient's IVs and disconnect their ventilators.

So this is who Trump appeals to, and he has no interest in saving ACA. Bannon already told the game. They want it to implode, consequences be damned.
I truly can't wait until a larger proportion of these these idiots get hit with chronic diseases.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

And you got guys on here basically saying "if we pull farther left we can get universal HC"

Yeah.

fukking.

RIght.

Best we'll get is a public option...and thats with CONSTANT appeals at removing it every 6 months.

We're still debating abortion, and school prayer.

STILL.

People really think Europe is the United States.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dems introduce public option for ObamaCare
kainetim_071917gn_lead.jpg

© Greg Nash
Sens. Michael Bennet (D-Colo.) and Tim Kaine (D-Va.) on Tuesdayintroduced a bill to add a government-run “public option” plan to ObamaCare, modeled on Medicare.

The plan, part of a long-running debate in the Democratic Party about how far to go in expanding government-run health insurance, would move ObamaCare to the left but does not go as far as Sen. Bernie Sanders's (I-Vt.) "Medicare for all" plan.

Instead of scrapping ObamaCare and extending Medicare to everyone, as Sanders’s plan does, the Bennet and Kaine bill would provide an option modeled on Medicare as a choice alongside private plans offered through the existing ObamaCare system.

“We don’t blow up the existing system,” Kaine told reporters. “We maintain the system.”

But the senators said the public option is needed to increase competition on the ObamaCare marketplaces, acknowledging that right now there is a problem on the law’s exchanges where many rural counties only have one insurance option, while some are at risk of having none at all.
Bennet said that his constituents often complain to him that their premiums have gone up because there is a lack of competition in ObamaCare.

“I think that’s a completely legitimate critique of a bill that I supported,” Bennet said. He called the new bill “a thoughtful approach to a problem that exists all over my state.”

Kaine added that President Trump’s “sabotage” of the health law, like cutting off key payments to insurers, has made the problems worse.

The measure currently has no real chance of passing, given Republican control of Congress, but it is a marker in the debate within the Democratic Party over how far to go in building on ObamaCare.

The lawmakers argue that a public option based on Medicare would be able to offer lower premiums because it would have lower administrative costs and not have to pay large executive salaries.

The measure would be sure to provoke opposition from industry groups like insurers, doctors and hospitals, given that Medicare pays health care providers at lower rates than private insurance.

A public option was floated during the debate over the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act but was removed before final passage.

Dems introduce public option for ObamaCare

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Among Democrats running for governor, single-payer health care gains support

In the midst of the divide and confusion over health insurance’s future, Minnesota Democrats who would be governor are near united in their prescriptions: Universal and single-payer is the way forward.

In a recent debate before a union-member crowd, the half-dozen Democratic-Farmer-Labor candidates gave nods to supporting universal health care, meaning everyone would be covered by health insurance. Four of the six proudly said they supported a single-payer health care model, meaning a publicly financed system. Last week, Democrat Rebecca Otto, the state’s auditor, came out with a lengthy Minnesota-based plan to finance health care.

Dayton has long said he supports single-payer health care but on a national level and only this year came out with a public option to allow all Minnesotans to buy into a state system. The Republican Legislature rejected Dayton’s proposal.

MN governors race: Support grows for single-payer health care