Should penalties be be challenged in the NFL

Daps
If we're gonna review every call we think a ref fukked up, don't have refs

:what:
You're not going to review every call, they still only get 2(+1) challenges. You're just inventing obstructions at this point.

Although, if there were a way to efficiently review every call, without delaying the game, I'd be in favor of that too....what do you have against getting calls right, or rather getting more calls right?

LordLyons

All Star
Daps
Reppin
You're not going to review every call, they still only get 2(+1) challenges. You're just inventing obstructions at this point.

Although, if there were a way to efficiently review every call, without delaying the game, I'd be in favor of that too....what do you have against getting calls right, or rather getting more calls right?
he a fan of one of the golden teams

KOBE

Superstar
Daps
Why can't judgement be reviewed?:dwillhuh:

Edit: and they're NOT just judgement calls. Many times they're phantom visions. A ref *thinks* they saw the ball cross the goal line, replay shows it did not, we overturn it. A ref *thinks* they saw the defender push the receiver before the ball got there, replay shows he did not, but we're stuck with the consequences. Why?

Ya and it aint really fair to refs either. People judge them based on slowmo replay from multiple angles. Giving refs a replay will help lessen their negative impact on the game.

Alexander The Great

I ain't gonna say this sh*t again
Supporter
Daps
yes. give both teams 3 challenges each and let them use it on whatever they want. but once they're gone, you're done.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx

And every call under 2 minutes of a game. Also, are you gonna review the penalties they don't call as well? Truth be told, someone's gonna hold or face mask on every play if you're gonna judge by the book. Then you're gonna have to call every ticky tack call that you otherwise could have lived with letting go at that point in a game. Even if I really didn't see shyt, the buzzer is gonna sound just to see if some real minor shyt went down. If as a referee you're not even allowed to make calls based off your judgment, don't have them out there. Just leave calls to those video mongers in NY.

I don't have anything against getting calls right, but we as fans are really spoiled by being able to use ultra HD slow mo replays to be able to say "that ref fukked up" even on calls that really could go either way depending on how you view it. Clearly they can't make replay calls in an efficient manner. Giving them more to analyze and judge will make baseball games look like they fly by.

EDIT: one more thing: how many challenge calls actually get used? Between the 2 challenges and the under 2 minutes, they get to all of them. You'll never get to every referee screw up. They'll botch more than you can challenge.

Daps
Ya and it aint really fair to refs either. People judge them based on slowmo replay from multiple angles. Giving refs a replay will help lessen their negative impact on the game.
Exactly. Now that the dust has settled, refs must enjoy that they no longer have to watch a replay of a "fumble" they called on the field all week on sportscenter with the runner's knee clearly on the ground. That mustve sucked for them.

With all this said there are some legit reasons to be cautious here. I suspect that the proposal is to allow challenges for penalties that are called NOT challenges for missed calls. I think refs are more likely to call a play a turnover knowing that it can be corrected in review than they have been in the past. If that same effect happens with penalties, it could have them more likely to throw a flag on plays, knowing a review will reveal the truth.

Daps
And every call under 2 minutes of a game. Also, are you gonna review the penalties they don't call as well? Truth be told, someone's gonna hold or face mask on every play if you're gonna judge by the book. Then you're gonna have to call every ticky tack call that you otherwise could have lived with letting go at that point in a game. Even if I really didn't see shyt, the buzzer is gonna sound just to see if some real minor shyt went down. If as a referee you're not even allowed to make calls based off your judgment, don't have them out there. Just leave calls to those video mongers in NY.

I don't have anything against getting calls right, but we as fans are really spoiled by being able to use ultra HD slow mo replays to be able to say "that ref fukked up" even on calls that really could go either way depending on how you view it. Clearly they can't make replay calls in an efficient manner. Giving them more to analyze and judge will make baseball games look like they fly by.

EDIT: one more thing: how many challenge calls actually get used? Between the 2 challenges and the under 2 minutes, they get to all of them. You'll never get to every referee screw up. They'll botch more than you can challenge.

Under two minutes, the league reviews. They wouldn't review plays unless there was an egregious miss or incredibly impactful calls. Calls where the delay is worth it to get it right. Only the participating teams might challenge longshot/trivial calls....and they only get 2(+1).

I do agree, it's too messy to try to review missed calls (at least initially), but there's no reason they can't verify made calls. Just because it wouldn't lead to 100% accuracy of all calls doesn't mean it's not worth implementing. Automatic reviews of scores and TOs hasn't been perfect, but it's significantly better than it was before. NFL games without phantom 45 yard PIs would be significantly better than it is now.