Shoulder Growth With Dumbbells vs. Exercise Bands

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I was hitting shoulders twice a week for MONTHS and was barely making any progress. They have historically been a weak point for me.

I sprained my AC joint a few weeks back so once it healed up I was recommended to use exercise bands rather than free weights to rehab it.

My shoulders have exploded since I started using bands instead and I don't think i'll be going back to free weights except for overhead press.:ohhh:

This breh seems to have had the same results, so it's not just me:yeshrug:

Just wanted to put this up here, since this section has given me so much good info:salute:

Kal El

All Star
Daps
Reppin
USA
Yeah these vids just confirm to me that you don't need heavy weight to get boulders.

Seen some cat with massive shoulders in my gym doing a shoulder circuit (lat raises, front, rear delt) with 15 pound dumbbells.

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I've been thinking the same; maybe going to pulleys over dumbbells

I've been doing lateral raises with 35s, pretty much at the limit of what is feasible for the motion :why: Def gonna look into this

Just having the band actively pulling in the opposite direction helps me keep the tension on the right muscles. Looking back, I think I was unintentionally compensating with other muscles when I was using dumbbells.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I always say use lightweight for shoulders (20lbs and under) I don't even do military presses anymore usually with DBs and maybe once every 2 weeks I'll use Barbell.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Less chance for injury with these. Had to use them heavy recently rehabbing from a neck'shoulder injury. You reminded me I need to get some for the lab.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
I stop doing isolated shoulder workouts a year or so ago. Pull ups and decline presses get the job done for me

Ron_Mexico

All Star
Daps
Usually 20lbs for 20 reps is good for me for 4-5 sets. Rarely go up to 35lbs anymore. I usually do military presses w/a barbell. Once I feel out of it I rotate back to dbs but keep it light 55-65lbs range for me for higher reps. Been working good so far. 1 rep max is 185lbs at 173. Thinking within a year or under should hit 205 :yeshrug:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I had to use bands and cable-machine weight resistance exercises after labral tear surgery. After getting physical therapy and stretching stuff, I slowly moved into barbell press. It took a long time though and I'm kind of close to where I was before surgery now. That was 3+ years ago.
I'm doing standing barbell press with 135s.
If my shoulder isn't feeling good, I'll do shoulder press with a Smith machine so I get deltoid involved in the shoulder press movement without having to deal with side-to-side balancing.
I've not done band resistance after rehab. The thing I like about shoulder press is how it activates my triceps, trapezius and back muscles along with deltoids.
The traps seems to get beefy with shoulder press as a side effect and the back muscles used to stabilize the upper body get a workout too.

Ron_Mexico

All Star
Daps
So what’s your numbers looking brehs. I’m at 173lbs and current weight and reps are

135x11
155x5
165x2
185x1

All beltless. Thinking of throwing on a belt and see if I can rep out more reps.