The Myth of Black Buying Power

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
i hear that stat a lot, and Im also bothered by it. It doesnt exactly translate to real life. :manny: to each their own. I'll peep it later

Tornado Drill

Rookie
Daps
With due respect to the guest he's defeatist. Presenting a position as all or nothing for reasons not to be self-sufficient shouldn't fly. Of course, there will still be racial strife, but that shouldn't stop anyone from strongly supporting group economics.

Yes supporting black businesses and banks won't stop all inequality, but it will most definitely improve the economic conditions of black Americans period.

I personally don't care about the trillion dollar figure. During the Montgomery bus boycotts, our people were dirt poor and because they were the ones using the bus system the most, the boycott was successful and things changed. A group doesn't need so much money as long as the dollars circulate more in the community and makes those dollars far more productive/effective. Also, black people have always been able to establish towns, own land, and own businesses. It is the brainwashing that convinces people that it isn't possible for us to come together and establish systems again.

Last, the black buying power is absolutely no myth. If it were, many ethnic groups wouldn't make billions from our neighborhoods and marketing firms wouldn't try and squeeze in a brother or sister in their advertisements. Moreover, black shoppers were responsible for $1.2 trillion in purchases annually (raceAhead: A New Nielsen Report Puts Black Buying Power at $1.2 Trillion).