"The Other 8/26 fight" HBO Miguel Cotto vs Yoshihiro Kamegai & Rey Vargas vs Ronny Rios

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
they may need to stop this shyt :patrice:
This was a weird ass fight. Kamegai has a god level chin. I may be reading too much into it, but i didn't like the way he was taking punches. He kept having a delayed pause after he got lit up. Almost like his brain needed to unscramble, but he is too tough to not keep coming forward.

Throughout the fight I felt like it should have been stopped because Cotto was winning every exchange and Kamegai was taking brutal punishment. But at the same time it felt like if Cotto gassed Kamegai was going to be there to be to try and stop Cotto because he kept coming.

Just felt bizarre to me.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
This was a weird ass fight. Kamegai has a god level chin. I may be reading too much into it, but i didn't like the way he was taking punches. He kept having a delayed pause after he got lit up. Almost like his brain needed to unscramble, but he is too tough to not keep coming forward.

Throughout the fight I felt like it should have been stopped because Cotto was winning every exchange and Kamegai was taking brutal punishment. But at the same time it felt like if Cotto gassed Kamegai was going to be there to be to try and stop Cotto because he kept coming.

Just felt bizarre to me.

right..at least in the fights ive seen of kamegai..he absorbed punishment but he was dishing out...like in the ghost and soto karass fights...but this was something else...cotto worked him over pretty good without falling or staggering..funny thing is i do remember "no welterweight punch having" ghost wobbling him in their fight and cotto is the superior puncher...thats boxing i guess lol

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Just felt bizarre to me.
Breh, Cotto won every minute of the first 10 rounds and in the championship rounds Im still like. ":lupe: If Cotto gets tired hes gonna lose"

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Breh, Cotto won every minute of the first 10 rounds and in the championship rounds Im still like. ":lupe: If Cotto gets tired hes gonna lose"
Right?!!! That was some weird ass shyt. I am sitting there thinking stop the fight Kamegai has taken too much punishment, but if Cotto tires Kamegai could win this thing. :mindblown:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
And not to ruin this thread...but what the Conor stans don't seem to see is that Floyd is not a hard puncher and was pushing his punches on Sat. even though he was being super aggressive for Floyd. I kept going back to thinking about the punches Cotto was throwing and he is a small JMW. Those would have tore Conor's head off. The fukking chin on Kamegai. :wow:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
After watching this fight I don't like the idea of Cotto trying to get the Canelo-GGG winner at 160 or even the Lemiuex fight. Cotto looked small vs. Kamegai and even though Cotto is more skilled than Lemieux, Lemieux is a big 160 lb'er. Secure the biggest name you can and make some paper on the way out. I would be hesitant to find an opponent that could make your last fight so physically taxing. :patrice:

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Cotto hit him with everything and the kitchen sink and I'm still thinking keeps pressure he might wear him down somehow and I couldn't explain why that thought crept into my mind :dwillhuh:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
not bad

Cotto-Kamegai Peaked at 805K Viewers, Averaged 730K on HBO

By Keith Idec

Even in direct competition with a pay-per-view extravaganza, boxing fans tuned in to watch Miguel Cotto’s return to the ring.

According to ratings released Tuesday by Nielsen Media Research, HBO’s broadcast of Cotto’s victory over Yoshihiro Kamegai drew a peak audience of 805,000 viewers on Saturday night. An average audience of 730,000 watched Cotto’s 12-round, unanimous-decision win.

The Cotto-Kamegai match ended before Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s technical knockout of Conor McGregor began because pay-per-view ordering glitches caused the start of Mayweather-McGregor to be delayed by about a half hour.

cotto-kamegai-fight%20%2823%29.jpg

Cable and satellite customers in certain parts of the United States had difficulty ordering the Showtime Pay-Per-View broadcast that featured Mayweather-McGregor. Mayweather acknowledged after his victory that he and McGregor remained in their dressing rooms until the potentially costly issue was resolved.

Mayweather-McGregor was expected to negatively impact Cotto-Kamegai ratings because at least portions of the fights were expected to air simultaneously.

The Cotto-Kamegai bout ended at approximately 11:45 p.m. ET/8:45 p.m. PT at StubHub Center in Carson, California, about 20 minutes before the delayed start of Mayweather-McGregor at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Puerto Rico’s Cotto, 36, fought for the first time since losing a unanimous decision to Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez in November 2015 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Cotto (41-5, 33 KOs) won the vacant WBO super welterweight title by out-boxing Japan’s Kamegai (27-4-2, 24 KOs) in their 12-round championship match (120-108, 119-109, 118-110).

HBO’s telecast began Saturday night with Rey Vargas’ victory over Ronny Rios in a 12-round, super bantamweight bout. Vargas-Rios was watched by a peak audience of 687,000 viewers and attracted an average viewership of 524,000.

Mexico’s Vargas (30-0, 22 KOs) out-pointed Rios (28-2, 12 KOs), of Santa Ana, California, by scores of 118-110, 118-110 and 115-113 to retain his WBC 122-pound championship.

The Vargas-Rios telecast also directly competed with part of the Mayweather-McGregor undercard.