The supposed Black 'stigma' damage

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I have read all these articles over the years (mostly by non-Blacks) bemoaning how damaged Black kids and students supposedly are because of the stigma due to diversity and affirmative action initiatives. They all seem to have an anecdote of a Black person they know rendered emotionally insecure and damaged because they (and their non-Black peers) questioned their competence.:snoop:

When I was in college I had some dude tell me he really thought the shortage of Blacks in science was due to science scholarships for Black students and the stigmatization it caused hurt their performance:rudy:

I mean seriously as a site of (mostly Black) people, have you ever run into this frequently? I maybe knew one or two people upset about this and they were mostly seeking White acceptance.

They don't seem to be interviewing educated Black folks in bulk when they make these statements because most of us realize there is a stigma for just being Black. My life has been pretty much people who will judge me fairly and those that won't. For those that won't :camby:I really don't give a shyt if they claim some political excuse like affirmative action makes it impossible for them to recognize my work or achievements. Maybe this new generation is different though.

Althalucian

All Star
Daps
I might find myself in the minority but I'm not a fan of affirmative action. I am more sympathetic to it when it was applied to people in previous decades, but as time passes the more it grates on me. I've abused soft affirmative action in the past to get what i want and it has always left me feeling a little dirty.

I suppose what I dislike most about it is that affirmative action, according to my research some years ago, was mostly a white invention and in my opinion still remains a tool used by white people. I don't trust white people with such strong tools when it comes to us.