Two Dozen African Girls Dead at Sea

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What can be done about this at the end of the day? Tired of hearing about these heartbreaking stories.

Tortured and raped for trying to find a better life. :mjcry:

What's so bad about Nigeria that people would think this is a good idea? Why do so many people believe the idea of the west being a land flowing with milk and honey? :what:

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
Why are Nigerians not outraged about this?
In 2017 their countrymen are being sold into slavery and they do nothing to stop it or st least educate their people to not take the journey?
I watched the CNN video and I just can't

This is just pathetic at this point.smh

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Sending people back is a very sensitive topic in Europe, especially for leftists. It cannot be addressed directly like this and will most likely be rejected because the EU has obligations toward people in danger.
What obligation does the EU have? This sounds like the road to hell being paved with good intentions.

Civilisé

Rookie
Daps
What obligation does the EU have? This sounds like the road to hell being paved with good intentions.

Asylum right cannot be denied by any EU member. This is in theory, in practice many Eastern EU members ignore this law or set quotas. Same thing with the Geneva Convention on refugees: Western EU countries usually tend to apply the law fully compared to the Eastern Europe and to the US.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Asylum right cannot be denied by any EU member. This is in theory, in practice many Eastern EU members ignore this law or set quotas. Same thing with the Geneva Convention on refugees: Western EU countries usually tend to apply the law fully compared to the Eastern Europe and to the US.

I didn't know any of this.

But from what I googled, this is a relatively new law, started in 2005, right?

Also, the obligation to provide asylum only applies to refugees, not migrants, right? So the overwhelming majority of people heading to Europe, being migrants, could be rebuffed without violating that obligation.

Civilisé

Rookie
Daps
I didn't know any of this.

But from what I googled, this is a relatively new law, started in 2005, right?

Also, the obligation to provide asylum only applies to refugees, not migrants, right? So the overwhelming majority of people heading to Europe, being migrants, could be rebuffed without violating that obligation.

The EU law may be recent, I'm not sure, not the Geneva convention.
So the refugees/migrants distinction is tricky and controversial. Indeed a migrant has no right to come illegally but the EU has the obligation to help people in distress, that's why you see these camps. Some migrants will pretend to be political refugee to get a visa but this trick is now well known by Europeans and the screening process is now harder. That's why some people (far left usually) want to use the term "economic refugees" to make it mandatory for the EU to welcome all of them.

Daps
Italy, and the rest of Europe must make it useless to try. And should migrants still make it to European shores illegally, they should be sent back to their home country; anything else encourages more would be migrants to keep trying, encourages more stories like this.

Wages will always make it worth it to try.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Sex trafficking, I'd think. I saw dozens of young Africans girls and their pimps on La Rambla in Barcelona, approaching men, including me, to solicit sex. It was really heartbreaking and revealing about the darker nature of Spain's legal and social systems.