UFC 215 [9/9] "A Fight Night Card, At A PPV Price" (Nunes/Shevchenko II, Dos Anjos/Magny)

Who Wins Saturday Night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Just watched the main event..knew Valentina would be hard to hit. She defended well..and she was mad but I thought the rounds were 2 a piece by the 5th round and she connected well in the 5th before the takedowns..so Amanda barely got by in this one. Valentina is a very tough kid though. I said though...Valentina is gonna have to bring it hard since she didn' really dominate Amanda in the rounds she won..she was really just busier.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
That shouldn't have given her the fight tho. Valentina was countering the hell out of her all rounds and landed more significant strikes. Nunez didn't do shyt with the take down

Nunes outlanded her at a more efficient clip and had more cage control. Some of you dudes really don't seem to grasp the concept of there's more factors outside hitting your opponent. Valentina did nothing to show the judges she won in a dominant, convincing fashion

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
One of the most frustrating things about this sport is nobody knows what they are watching

I don't think you know the sport you're watching. This ain't boxing, takedowns have historically always scored well with UFC judges. For Shevchenko to defend herself post-match saying only punches should have mattered, and that leg kicks shouldn't score in MMA is absolutely retarded.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
I don't think you know the sport you're watching. This ain't boxing, takedowns have historically always scored well with UFC judges. For Shevchenko to defend herself post-match saying only punches should have mattered, and that leg kicks shouldn't score in MMA is absolutely retarded.
Yeah TDs have always scored highly no shyt it's how a lot of fighters exploited the system by laying and praying that's not news. What is is that this year there were amendments made to the unified rules to curb such things as pacificity. Instead they would reward action and damage whilst control would only factor in stalemates (which this wasn't as VV was more active from the bottom and nunes did zilch).The new unified rules were adopted in Edmonton..

I don't know who you are but maybe next time instead of coming at me like a smart azz you should do some research.

Daps
I've been reading comments everywhere all day and 90% of people give the fight to Valentina. It is what is is tho. she should go to the new 125 lbs division when it opens and dominate there. She deserves the immediate rematch but I wouldn't even waste the time if I were her. If her and Amanda were the same size she'd easily destroy Amanda.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah TDs have always scored highly no shyt it's how a lot of fighters exploited the system by laying and praying that's not news. What is is that this year there were amendments made to the unified rules to curb such things as pacificity. Instead they would reward action and damage whilst control would only factor in stalemates (which this wasn't as VV was more active from the bottom and nunes did zilch).The new unified rules were adopted in Edmonton..

I don't know who you are but maybe next time instead of coming at me like a smart azz you should do some research.

There were only 2 big emphasises to scoring in the new changes

1) they want the judges to focus more on the quality of the strikes, than the quantity
2) they want judges to award the round to whoever bested their opponent in whatever style was being deployed (striking, grappling)

Round 1: They both landed only a couple punches at the very end, but the majority of this round was Nunes kicking Shevchenko, when they both were reluctant to start the fight with their hands, only one fighter decided to be active with another approach. Nunes.

Round 2: Shevchenko began to find some timing here and landed some punches off feints. Nunes being still being very cautious to commit to combo attempts since she landed almost none of her first attempts. Shevchenko.

Round 3: Shevchenko throwing alot of stuff that just glances, except for the left she tagged Nunes with at the end. Nunes throwing less, but landing harder. Quality over quantity per rule change. Nunes.

Round 4: Same as land round, but reversed. Both girls showing good stamina, not looking sloppy, but instead still committed to respecting each other's power. Shevchenko.

Round 5: Nothing landing here for the first 2 minutes, then it turns into a grapple fest. Per the new scoring changes, whoever does better here should win the round. So the first instance here is Nunes goes for a takedown and defended to the cage by Shevchenko. Nunes rests to try for another takedown, while Shevchenko is outmatched in strength to escape the cage. Nunes again tries a takedown, and again defended by Shevchenko. So under the new rules, Shevchenko is besting Nunes atm in grappling, thus winning the round. So Nunes breaks knowing it is a lost cause at this point. Nunes hits a counter takedown off a Shevchenko superman, Shevchenko attempts to headlock on the way down, but Nunes size and strength makes sure she hits the mat on top. The action slows as Shevchenko ties Nunes' hands up, not allowed her to attempt any finish, while Nunes is forced to rest and look to her coaches for advice. She is finally able to force an escape as Nunes attempts a knee and takes her down again. Nunes tries to advance to a mount so she can goto work with her hands, but time is running out too fast. Shevchenko also knows this, and tries to throw punches from the bottom of the grapple to look active, but ultimately nothing that can be called "significant" at all. Nunes.

The grappling was uneventful, but there is no way you can say Shevchenko bested her there. And even if you were to go against the new rule change and weigh the few strikes thrown as evenly as the grappling, Shevchenko still didn't throw anything to hurt Nunes at all. I mean if it was old scoring emphasis she would actually have a better chance with "quantity over quality".

Sorry to come at you disrespectful, but I just hate when people who have either been watching a long time and don't pick up the fact that takedowns are hard to get on opponents, and have always been factored hugely into scoring. Or people that come from boxing and expect only punches to be scored, when MMA is a much more versatile sport. And even then, they should know power punches score more in boxing than peppering a buncha weak stuff.

75 Others

Stop it Skeeeyyyuuup
Daps
Valentina :noah:

She caught my eye at the summer press conference