What is a Good Degree without knowing what to do.

Jey95x

Rookie
Daps
20 year old here need some advice.

Anyone around here know which degrees are good to get without having no experience in any of the fields.

I want to get a 4 year degree but if all else fails I get my 2 year degree and continue later on for that 4 .

I’m also actually leaning towards the technology side such as computer science / information technology. However others are telling me to pick business or the medical field since many people have better experience and will not help me when it’s time to get a job.

Tbh I just want to pick a field where there’s always jobs so I don’t get stuck somewhere with a degree.

I do not mind working in a office. Being outside working horrible condition is something I’m not looking forward to or working at later age.

Thanks

litty

Pro
Daps
Systems Engineering

Math (might take longer than 4 years if you have zero experience)

QA

IT, like you said

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Go to a 2 year college with a major in general studies and then transfer. During that two years you can also focus on finding a job or internship in the IT field. This will give you a chance to maybe narrow down your major and also consider if you want to go to college out of state. It may be more expensive, but if there are a lot of jobs in your field, you'd want to go to college in that state to take advantage of any pending or new graduate opportunities.

I think IT is a great field because because most industries use it in some type of way. Narrowing it down is the hardest part. My advice would be to try and keep your degree generic as possible and use certifications to narrow down your specialization. Once you get a job, you can look at what certifications may be necessary for that position in case you have a hard time on where to start in that regard. People joke about 6 certs, but they are less expensive than college and can command you some money. I still think a degree is important though.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
software engineering is big right now, id be looking there

coding isnt my thing even though im not half bad at it. I just seen some of the DevOps Engineers pulling 6 figs pretty early

that said, id consider what you could build in the near future in terms of business while you go to school. Get in the mindset that you can do it yourself and that degree will go further if you push yourself

kuts

All Star
Daps
The much maligned English degree actually teaches the communication and writing skills needed to get ahead in corporate. While you won't be some technical expert, you'll likely end up managing them.

Definitely go the route of comp sci/fin tech though, and do become an Engineer or Programmer if you're interested. My initial paragraph is just in case you find that you aren't that interested in tech like that or just aren't cut out for it.