What!?!?!? No Songwriter's Thread

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The only thing I have is a Korg SP-1407(I think) Grand Keyboard which is perfect for learning and to have an instrument to conceptualize my ideas. Unfortunately, I don't have a computer, DAW software or any other studio recording equipment. I do have ways around it, as you mentioned...

I guess the first thing I'll do is start remediation of music theory. There are some areas that I can get stronger in, but I pretty much know my way around a musical(grand) staff. I'm not a novice(played tuba and a little trumpet growing up). Becoming efficient with learning to play a piano will be one of the principal challenges.

The main challenge will be creating a unique style... I believe I'm up for it.
You're already well ahead and at a place where you can begin song writing.
I'm assuming you already know some scale theory so now that you've got an
instrument capable of chords, you just need to learn how to construct them.

Since you're on Piano and since I'm not sure if you know this already I'll say it.
Anything to the RIGHT of middle C is on treble clef, anything to LEFT of middle C
is Bass clef.
If you haven't played piano before I can probably PM you a book that'll
get you up and running as far as learning how to read a keyboard, how
to construct chords and scales, etc.

Outside of this point :
:dahell:
This could turn into a dope thread :wow:
Where is everybody ? lol

QuintessentialBM

GoldenAgeGamer82 - PSN ID
Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise
You're already well ahead and at a place where you can begin song writing.
I'm assuming you already know some scale theory so now that you've got an
instrument capable of chords, you just need to learn how to construct them.

Since you're on Piano and since I'm not sure if you know this already I'll say it.
Anything to the RIGHT of middle C is on treble clef, anything to LEFT of middle C
is Bass clef.
If you haven't played piano before I can probably PM you a book that'll
get you up and running as far as learning how to read a keyboard, how
to construct chords and scales, etc.

Outside of this point :
:dahell:
This could turn into a dope thread :wow:
Where is everybody ? lol

As as I know about music, I didn't know about the middle C thing :snoop: because like I said I don't really play piano proficiently(I do know where middle C is at though.... It's close to the center of the keyboard. A point of reference is that middle C is where the manufacturer generally puts the logo on a piano/keyboard). The only thing that is stopping me from being a good board player is the fact that my dexterity is terrible and I haven't put in the work to improve it. I think I'm ready now though, so I'm about to put in the work. With the knowledge I already have, I could seriously make a career out of music if I work on my piano skills and re-train my ear. There is much I need to learn and I don't wanna rush, so I'll take my time. I'll eventually get to where I need to be.

I need a piano book though... Shoot me that recommendation.

Last edited: