What's Your Music Theory Game Hittin' For?

b33lz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
New Jerusalem
why would you teach yourself that way though?
why not make it simpler by realizing the C# major scale is the C major scale with all white keys raised to a sharp??

You can relate scales without crazy number patterns
Interesting... I'm basically learning on my own figuring out the patterns. Thanks for your input.

Daps
Interesting... I'm basically learning on my own figuring out the patterns. Thanks for your input.

I can teach you how to count and write rhythm patterns with syllables instead of counting...

let me know if you wanna learn that

b33lz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
New Jerusalem
Yeah I know about those 4 beats, 2 beats, 1 beat & half beats. I just gotta remember what the signs look like.

Daps
Yeah I know about those 4 beats, 2 beats, 1 beat & half beats. I just gotta remember what the signs look like.

You only need to know what they look like if you're gonna write them down.

If you're on a drum machine, you're not writing them down or seeing notes, you're performing the patterns you put together or are replicating.

Do you know what 4/4 time is?? and if so, how many eighth notes would go in a measure?

b33lz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
New Jerusalem
You only need to know what they look like if you're gonna write them down.

If you're on a drum machine, you're not writing them down or seeing notes, you're performing the patterns you put together or are replicating.

Do you know what 4/4 time is?? and if so, how many eighth notes would go in a measure?
1and 2and 3and 4 repeated 4 times is 4/4
eight notes in each measure (ie hi hats)

Last edited:
Daps
1and 2and 3and 4 repeated 4 times is 4/4
eight notes in each measure (ie hi hats)

There are 8 eighth notes to a measure in 4/4 time, hence it being called 8th notes.
8 8th notes in EACH measure. The 4/4 represents 4 beats per measure
and there are 16th notes and 32nd notes, and guess what! they also are the number of how many can be in a measure in 4/4 time

2/4 time would represent HALF of that. 4 8th notes in a measure.....

how many 8th notes are in 3/4 time though? can you figure it out??

Also, using syllables takes away the counting method and allows you to drum faster

One20ne

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When starting out I think it helps to have a basic understanding of the piano, chords, and scales. You can go pretty far by just knowing which notes are in the different types of scales. I dont even read music but I printed out pictures of scales for my piano and that really helped me get the right feel and train my ear. Whether I wanted a jazz type feeling to my piano or w.e VST Im using or w.e. It also helps when you want to get into sampling because you can narrow down your key and just bang shyt out.