Why are there so few of black women as governor/candidate?

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ
I know there are some who are lieutenant governor like the one in NJ. How come not many run as candidate?Let alone win....

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I know there are some who are lieutenant governor like the one in NJ. How come not many run as candidate?Let alone win....
Not sure if you're joking or not with this thread....

There have only been 4 black governors in US history. Of the 4, 3 have been elected since 1990. Of those 3, ALL of them were democrats.

All of this is important for a few reasons.....

There won't be a black anything in a republican state, so you've already eliminated 33 states (both sides!!! :sadcam:)

There are more women governors in the republican party than in the democratic party for a number of reasons:
  • again sheer numbers (33v16)
  • black woman lean progressive and will never receive support from white woman who lean conservative EVERYWHERE outside of solid blue states (so that intersectionality shyt is straight doo doo)
  • in dem states, there will always be a bottleneck between white male, white female, black male, black female, & insert other racial group depending on state (i.e california/hawaii more likely to have an asian pacific islander rep)
    • this bottleneck tends to discriminate against black woman the most: both black and white males can lean on gender bias to show strength; white females are more likely to pull in conservative/moderate votes regardless of their political views
With that said, Stacey Abrams is trying to become the first black female governor in US history:

I'm not getting my hopes up because this "blue wave" that we're expecting in midterms doesn't necessarily mean anything right now. I don't put my faith in lazy ass voters or white women. :yeshrug:

@BarNone any thoughts.

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
I want my daughter to be president. I have explained to her that ideally she would have to come out of New Jersey or Maryland. She can work the Delaware angle but the goal is to be from a major state.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Not sure if you're joking or not with this thread....

There have only been 4 black governors in US history. Of the 4, 3 have been elected since 1990. Of those 3, ALL of them were democrats.

All of this is important for a few reasons.....

There won't be a black anything in a republican state, so you've already eliminated 33 states (both sides!!! :sadcam:)

There are more women governors in the republican party than in the democratic party for a number of reasons:
  • again sheer numbers (33v16)
  • black woman lean progressive and will never receive support from white woman who lean conservative EVERYWHERE outside of solid blue states (so that intersectionality shyt is straight doo doo)
  • in dem states, there will always be a bottleneck between white male, white female, black male, black female, & insert other racial group depending on state (i.e california/hawaii more likely to have an asian pacific islander rep)
    • this bottleneck tends to discriminate against black woman the most: both black and white males can lean on gender bias to show strength; white females are more likely to pull in conservative/moderate votes regardless of their political views
With that said, Stacey Abrams is trying to become the first black female governor in US history:

I'm not getting my hopes up because this "blue wave" that we're expecting in midterms doesn't necessarily mean anything right now. I don't put my faith in lazy ass voters or white women. :yeshrug:

@BarNone any thoughts.
I don't think the blue wave will happen the way people think it will. Largely because politics are local. People got hyped off VA but that was very specific to how well that was run. Alabama had more to do with white women staying home. If the blue wave happens, it will have more to do with Republicans staying home. As black woman governors, there are almost no governors of color period and most black people live in red states. I agree with everything else you said too.

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black women generally have less cross over appeal due to being uberly hyper segregated in broader American society, which makes it even harder for them to win elections outside of predominantly Black electorates.

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ
I'm serious with this thread.Sistas are mayor's etc but Governor seems like it's hard to attain these days. There are a few lieutant minority governor's tho

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
Why does there need to be?
didnt really see anybody outright say there needed to be but it isnt hard to think of some of the reasons one might say:

1. to add a missing perspective to governance
2. as a positive indicator of social cohesion and meritocracy