Why does the UI on Japanese games look so dated?

yardman

Mad movements!
Daps
Reppin
Whitehall
You can automatically tell it's a Japanese game based off of the UI. The UI on FFXV looked so clunky and archaic. The fonts theare usually a dead giveaway.​

Daps
FFXV has one of the better UIs in japanese games honestly. But I agree in general. they are way too crowded :huhldup:

King Koopa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The 8-4 and fiery moats
UI?!?!? :jbhmm: is that character design or stage creation, User Interface???
User interface.

And yeah for FFXV that was one of the main things that stood out and bugged me while playing. I think part of it is the stubbornness to evolve like the rest of these companies out here are doing. Hell, even a lot of their character designs are dated lol.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
User interface.

And yeah for FFXV that was one of the main things that stood out and bugged me while playing. I think part of it is the stubbornness to evolve like the rest of these companies out here are doing. Hell, even a lot of their character designs are dated lol.

Give me an example of user interface, you mean like character select screen and whatnot right?!?:jbhmm:

King Koopa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The 8-4 and fiery moats
Give me an example of user interface, you mean like character select screen and whatnot right?!?:jbhmm:
Yeah menus. Anything u see like start, pause, customization, stats screens.

Also the icons/text that overlay the gameplay screens most of the time.

latest

0PqPekp.jpg

shyt looks clean at times I’ll admit, but still has that dated look this Japanese games been doing for years.

Loved Overwatch’s ui design. Just had got more life to it and not as bland...

overwatch-in-game-ui-1.jpg

Another good example imo. Horizon’s ui doesn’t have much color, but still more vibrant and not as “boring” looking as FFXV’s. A lil cluttered, but the color choice helps it blend and not too in your face at times. This image’s pink boxes highlight the design well...

0005_HZD.jpg

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
FFXV UI was to pay homage to older games. As for JP Games, there are plenty of games with interesting ui's like P4/P5.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Yeah menus. Anything u see like start, pause, customization, stats screens.

Also the icons/text that overlay the gameplay screens most of the time.

latest

0PqPekp.jpg

shyt looks clean at times I’ll admit, but still has that dated look this Japanese games been doing for years.

Loved Overwatch’s ui design. Just had got more life to it and not as bland...

overwatch-in-game-ui-1.jpg

Another good example imo. Horizon’s ui doesn’t have much color, but still more vibrant and not as “boring” looking as FFXV’s. A lil cluttered, but the color choice helps it blend and not too in your face at times. This image’s pink boxes highlight the design well...

0005_HZD.jpg

I think because Japanese devs focus on all their resources on the game, the menus and select screens come like throwaway projects...:francis: I mean how long are you on the menu screen?!? Although I think the illest menu screen select screens was Batman Arkham city:banderas: rocksteady the gods...

:mjcry: it's was so beautiful they love batman so much... so much lore, story grittiness went into it.

Last edited: