“The Black Dollar”

Jammer22

All Star
Daps
Reading that Poor People's Campaign page on Wiki gave me a bad case of Deja Vu.
That part about how the :mjpls:media covered the march had me like:wtf:.

It's the same shyt happening over again. Only thing is, this time, we've gone one step further.

I'm feeling them points about the self-sufficiency encouraged in the article, by the way. Reminds me of what my pops told me about PM Michael Manley. I think he said folks wasn't ready to do all of that tho + people in Manley's administration wasn't following through and were too corrupt.

Jammer22

All Star
Daps
Sorry about the double post but I was wondering...

I brought up the fact that some communities operated on the principle of minimizing police contact. It was in another thread but I forgot which one.
Gotta take a look...

Anyway, I brought up the fact that the Jews have shomrim.
And yes, I'm aware our situation is unique but I still think there are actions and practices we can take to fit our situation.

Shomrim (neighborhood watch group)

And this voluntary emergency medical service provided by volunteers looks like a good secondary step, but I do think black households need to increase their medical knowledge drastically for themselves, though. Self-sufficiency is powerful...

Hatzalah

And I've always been a little curious about the Chicago situation the WS love to circle-jerk about.
There's a very interesting tidbit I came across detailing how most of the illegal guns are coming from Illinois, the state with the most lax gun laws in the contry.

Here's the link from Aljazeera.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Black people spend more money with other people. That's a fact. We literally don't have the infrastructure too support. Not that we don't want to. The fact that black people are rushing in inconvenience to black banks shows we def want to badly. It just ain't around like that or poorly advertised. I know of some black spots that don't advertise and people would support if they knew about it. But we do go out of our way to support our own waaaay more than others. They just have the convenience of proximity of businesses.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I like what she wrote, though some of the statements made that lacked sourcing was bothersome.
The solution is easy, and will likely not happen.
A mass of wealth building centered around our own communities, and abroad in interconnected communities.
"Black" as a people doesn't translate well outside of the US though, so this will simply not happen.
What can be done is the accumulation of wealth in Black communities, ownership of property in Black communities that center around cultural and arts districts, universities and schools, and attractions, a much higher college graduation rate and a much higher trade education in the Black community, much more robust community services, revitalization projects for areas that have fallen into disrepair and subsequently have dropped in property value, heavy investment in growing economies (Black investement in China, India, Nigeria, Ghana, Rwanda, the Ivory Coast, and here in the US most of all). A weaker hold of the church here, much more powerful lobbying groups centered on Black male and female issues (because there are differences all this "we're all one Black" stupidity is played-out), more political control, a higher concentration of Black doctors, lawyers, politicians, engineers and contractors, a much higher focus on STEM, and strong international relationships need to be built.
None of that is easy, and most of it probably won't come about in the next few decades. But work needs to be done. If at least some of that could be attained, we would be far better off.
I'm also very pleased she got rid of those two foolish ideas about the Black buying power and the cycle of the Black dollar.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Black people spend more money with other people. That's a fact. We literally don't have the infrastructure too support. Not that we don't want to. The fact that black people are rushing in inconvenience to black banks shows we def want to badly. It just ain't around like that or poorly advertised. I know of some black spots that don't advertise and people would support if they knew about it. But we do go out of our way to support our own waaaay more than others. They just have the convenience of proximity of businesses.
For one thing we are a minority group in a White-majority country, statistically we would be far more likely to "spend more money with other people" simply because there are more "other people" than there are "us." And there aren't Black-owned banks in most areas.
And you're right about the last part. I would love to see some Black-created, Black-owned, chain restaurants, chain (health-food) grocery stores, and at least a heavier investment in international apparel brands, regardless of whether or not they're Black owned.