2023 Oscars thoughts

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So with the Academy Awards coming soon, I have to say this...

All Quiet on the Western Front was the best movie of the year. It just was. Nothing that I've seen comes even close.

Granted, I still have a few movies to watch as of this writing.

1. Top Gun was a fun movie. I get the nostalgia. But this was not a great Oscars type movie. It's a good TNT/TBS Friday Night movie.

2. Tar may have interesting dialogue and I suppose Cate Blanchett is a great actress. But I could not give 2 shyts about this movie. I got about 40 minutes into it and thought to myself -- I'm watching this just to say that I watched this. I'm not actually ENJOYING this. At all.

3. Everything Everywhere All at Once. I'm still in the middle of it. Not really impressed. It's okay so far. Seems more like a gimmicky movie. I get the feeling this is the adult version of Kick Ass or something. I mean is this really a Best Picture type of movie? The kind of thing you look back in 15 years and go "Wow!" ?? I don't think so.

4. The Banshees of Inisherin. Great movie. Colin Farrell has really proven over the years that he's a fantastic actor. I had to watch this with subtitles because some of that dialogue was hard to follow for an American. I don't think it's a Best Picture movie. But I do think SOMEONE has to win an award for this. Maybe best actor or best supporting actor or screenplay. Even that kid Barry Keoghan was good.

Movies yet to watch: The Fabelmans, The Whale, Babylon, and Empire of Light.

There are some movies that are a bit under the radar that I'm interested in watching. Not for any awards interest, but just to see how good they might be. I'm thinking "Argentina, 1985".

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Another coli breh reviewing movies he hasn't seen.

God this sub has fallen off so hard

2 woat threads in 1 day by OP

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Another coli breh reviewing movies he hasn't seen.

God this sub has fallen off so hard

2 woat threads in 1 day by OP
I've seen more Humphrey Bogart movies than you have. And he's your avatar.