39-year-old retired millionaire: 'Budgets don't work'—do this instead

goatmane

Veteran
Daps
basically work a super high paying job for 15 years and invested in the stock market when it crashed during the recession

Kathleen Elkins | @kathleen_elk
11:41 AM ET Wed, 26 Dec 2018

How this average 38-year-old became a millionaire and retired early

In 2016, Chris Reining quit his IT job at age 37 with more than $1 million in the bank by living a modest lifestyle, saving and investing more than half his income and putting his money to work. For nearly three years, he's been living comfortably off of his investments in Madison, Wisconsin.

Achieving such a high savings rate didn't require that he follow a strict budget, though. In fact, "budgets don't work," the self-made millionaire and early retiree writes on his blog. "I don't believe in them mostly because people can't stick to them."

He compares budgeting to dieting: "How many people do you know that are always going on new diets, trying this and that, and never succeeding?"

Doing what actually works can require a mindset shift, he says. "Reaching financial independence, like dieting, is about being conscious, making changes slowly, setting yourself up for success with measurable and attainable goals and making this your lifestyle."

That's why, instead of creating a highly-detailed budget that allocates money for different categories, he recommends tracking your money — what's coming in and what's going out.

Holly Whittlef
Chris Reining

Reining, now 39, has been tracking his income, spending and investments in a spreadsheet since 2006. He's also been graphing what he calls his "cross-over point": when monthly investment income crosses above monthly expenses. "When this point happens is when you can seriously consider retiring because you are officially financially independent!" he writes. "No more income is needed from a job."

Turning your financial goals into something visual such as a graph is crucial, says Reining, because "it drives home the point that you can, in fact, retire early."

He tells CNBC Make It: "Once you start tracking this stuff and seeing it month to month and then year to year, you really start to understand, 'If I spend less, that means I'm saving and investing more. And if I'm saving and investing more, I'm going to be able to walk away sooner. I'm going to be able to have financial independence sooner, because these numbers all work together.'"

Experts agree that budgeting may not be mandatory. You can take control of your finances in other ways.

As long as you establish how much you need to save each month for retirement and other major purchases, and you actually set that amount aside, you don't have to budget at all, says Nick Holeman, certified financial planner at Betterment.

Set your goals, make sure that you're saving enough to reach them and don't worry about the day-to-day expenses, he tells Make It: "As long as you know how much you need to be saving and you're saving enough each month, who really cares where the rest of the money goes?"

"As long as you know how much you need to be saving and you're saving enough each month, who really cares where the rest of the money goes?" -Nick Holeman, certified financial planner
Kimmie Greene, money expert at Intuit and spokeswoman for Mint.com, offers similar advice: "People can get really hyper-focused on spending and think, 'How much am I spending on Uber versus taking the bus?' Or, 'How much am I spending on coffee?'" she tells Make It.

Rather than scrutinizing daily expenses, she encourages people to keep the big picture in mind. Tell yourself, "as long as I can save this much per month or quarter or year, it doesn't really matter how I spend my money. I just have to know that I'm getting to the savings goal that matters for me at this point in my life."

As long as you're reaching your savings goal, feel free to spend on lattes, shoes, a big wedding or whatever brings you joy.

If you think you need to budget to limit your spending, rather than sitting down and outlining one, try "the envelope system," says Reining: "Let's say after a few months of tracking your dollars you now have a pretty good handle on how much you're spending. And you're shocked to find that you're spending hundreds of dollars on clothes. Here's what you do: you give yourself $50 a month for clothes and put that cash in an envelope with the word 'Clothes' written on it.

"You can do this for all your expenses. Have an entertainment, food and household envelope each with the amount of dollars in it that you want to spend every month. When the money is gone from the envelope, that's it."

goatmane

Veteran
Daps
dude said he "only" spent $40k a year on living expense...

And then I found the biggest expenses to cut. Like the $1,000 a month I spent flying airplanes. Then I worked on making cuts in other areas.

But you can’t frugal your way to financial freedom so I took my career and learned how to become more valuable because top performers earn more money.

By reducing what I spent and earning more money it caused my savings to skyrocket. The first year I was able to save 15%, then 30%, and then 45%. It topped out around 55%.

Screen-Shot-2016-11-05-at-1.20.54-PM-e1478370286166.png

If you want to become wealthy it doesn’t make any sense to keep money in a savings account. You have to invest. So I put it in the stock market.

I lost a lot during the financial crisis but over the long term the market always goes up. And at 35 I became a millionaire.

Screen-Shot-2016-11-05-at-1.21.50-PM-e1478370316601.png

Honestly, it was kind of a letdown. But I had enough money where I felt like I didn’t have to work if I didn’t want to.

In fact, I reached what’s called the crossover point. Meaning I had enough money that I could generate $40,000 in passive income for the rest of my life.

Screen-Shot-2016-11-05-at-1.22.48-PM-e1478370355769.png

You know, setting a goal to become financially free was easy. Get

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol:
I find it funny that whenever someone does well, they feel the need to denigrate all other means of obtaining what they obtained.

"Budgets don't work" ??? :dahell:

Budgets have worked since the beginning of time, foh. Just because he doesn't, doesn't mean that you shouldn't.

It would be like me bragging getting good grades without studying and then saying "Studying doesn't work, do this instead :youngsabo:"

Oh and what he did is basically another form of budgeting, its just more reactive. I'm sure if he found out that he was spending 2x what he thought he was, he would have lessened his allocation for material items... i.e. budgeting

Spin

All Star
Daps
I don't get how you can be that young and want to "retire". I could see leaving your 9-5 and running a business from home, but retiring? Especially in Madison of all places.

He's right though about focusing on increasing income. saving an extra $100 dollars a month isn't going to do much. Boosting your salary is the fastest way to make a difference. We sure this guy isn't from the coli 6 cert 6 figure thread :lolbron:?

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Live off your needs, don't buy too much into things if you cannot afford the deprecation or interest aspect of it, plan what you will spend a large amount at once
Cook at home, buy in bulk, keep cost to a minimal/consistent. Any single man or woman (not with children etc) who is making 6 figures should be able to save at least 30% of their income annually.
It's easy to save money and then reinvest it into other markets that will grant you income with minimal amount of effort oppose to a 9 to 5.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
I've thought of trying to track where I spend shyt but I use cash often. If somebody knows of an app or something that does it, let me know cuz I'm too lazy to deal with my bank statements like THAT. I gotta track on my mixtape titled "Cash flow" about this very issue tho. 'Brothers big about the cash flow but when it's a drain no one knows where the cash flowed"

Y'all download that thang :lawd:

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
I don't get how you can be that young and want to "retire". I could see leaving your 9-5 and running a business from home, but retiring? Especially in Madison of all places.

He's right though about focusing on increasing income. saving an extra $100 dollars a month isn't going to do much. Boosting your salary is the fastest way to make a difference. We sure this guy isn't from the coli 6 cert 6 figure thread :lolbron:?
Early retirement is just working when you want to, not cuz you have to. A much better way to live and enjoy your life imo.

The Radiant One

Superstar
Daps
Financial independence is the goal. Make sure you pay for cars in cash only use rewards credit cards pay it off every month. Also invest monthly in index funds and get a three month emergency fund,

To get to this you will have to be really frugal and adapt lifestyle changes like intermittent fasting (not eating as much) and also thinking about the future.