6'0 man spends $106k to increase height by 7 inches

goatmane

Veteran
Daps

Father spends $106,000 on limb-lengthening surgery to add 7in to his 6ft frame - after deciding his legs were 'too short' for his body​

By Gina Kalsi For Mailonline09:35 05 Jun 2023, updated 09:44 05 Jun 2023

71769975-0-image-a-2_1685950064728.jpg

• 485shares

comments
A father-of-two travelled to Turkey and spent $106,000 to get limb-lengthening surgery to increase his height after deciding his legs were 'too short' for his body.
Brian Sanchez, 33, a mortgage broker who lives in Georgia with his wife, Nidia, 30, and their daughters, Kaisley, two, and Kairi, six, said he felt like his body was 'out of proportion' and he looked like 'like a huge thumb

Ad

After some research, he discovered he could have limb-lengthening surgery in Turkey to become his ideal height and as soon as he saw it he thought: 'OK, I guess this is what I'm doing.'

Brian also wanted the surgery to improve his weightlifting goals and be ten inches taller than his wife - who is around 5ft 9 in - so they will no longer be at 'almost eye level'.

'My wife is pretty tall – we were only about three inches apart – but once I'm fully recovered it'll be a nine-and-a-half-inch difference,' he said.

71769473-12159711-image-a-11_1685950512520.jpg
Brian Sanchez, 33, a mortgage broker who lives in Georgia said he felt like his body was 'out of proportion' and he looked like 'like a huge thumb'. Pictured: Brian before (L) and after (R) the surgery

'It's going to be really nice just to be able to hug her and have her all the way down there on my chest instead of being almost eye level.

'One of the things that I'll enjoy the most is being able to work out again and put some weight on my legs and have my body look a little bit more how I want it to.'

Last January, Brian realised his legs didn't match his 'torso proportions'.

He said: 'I realised that my legs were always looking weird, and I didn't know what it was, until one day I was sitting next to my brother-in-law who is almost 6ft 6in, and I was actually a little taller than he was.

'I thought that was weird, because I knew he was taller than I am by a lot, and we stood up, and all of a sudden, I started looking and realised my legs were too short for my body.

I'm broad, have long arms, and I'm wide, but my short legs make me look different – I almost look like a huge thumb, like those thumb men from Spy Kids.'

After the realisation, Brian, who had never previously had cosmetic surgery, started to dislike his aesthetics and decided to research ways to make himself taller.

He said: 'I thought I can either find a new hobby, and give up lifting weights, or I can fix the issue.

71769497-12159711-image-a-30_1685950931356.jpg
Brian had his first operation in last December, which involved breaking his tibia and fibula, putting a rod inside the bones, and fastening it with screws
71769495-12159711-image-a-14_1685950544098.jpg
Brian also wanted the surgery to improve his weightlifting goals and be ten inches taller than his wife - who is around 5ft 9 in - so they will no longer be at 'almost eye level'

'I started Googling and ran into the procedure from there – as soon as I saw it, I thought 'OK, I guess this is what I'm doing'.

Brian had his first operation in last December, which involved breaking his tibia and fibula, putting a rod inside the bones, and fastening it with screws.

He underwent a second procedure in March to extend his femur.

To recover, Brian had to be in a wheelchair and turn the screws with an Allen wrench four times a day.

When he is fully recovered he thinks the pain will have been 'worth it' as he will 'enjoy being taller'.

Brian set himself a goal of becoming at least 6ft 6in tall and said of his loved ones' reaction when he told them about his idea: 'It was a combination of disbelief, but they also said that it is typical of me.

In December 2022, he had his first operation in a clinic called Live Life Taller in Turkey, which cost him around $37,400

To recover, Brian had to be in a wheelchair and turn the screws with an Allen wrench four times a day

Brian said: 'You have this piece of steel on the outside of your legs and have these constant open wounds that won't close until you remove all the hardware'
'I know this is a very crazy thing, it's extremely expensive, time-consuming, difficult, painful and even risky in some respects.'

In December 2022, he had his first operation in a clinic called Live Life Taller in Turkey, which cost him around $37,400.

goatmane

Veteran
Daps
The first procedure involved lengthening the tibia and fibula together.

'In the first surgery, they broke my tibia and fibula and hollowed out the inside of the tibia, taking out the bone marrow,' he said.

'They then put a rod inside the bone and fastened it with screws and attached the bone segments via pins to external fixators – so you have this piece of steel on the outside of your legs and have these constant open wounds that won't close until you remove all the hardware.'

His recovery involved being in a wheelchair and using an Allen wrench to turn a bolt on the fixators four times a day at 90 degrees to separate the bone segments a little at a time

He said: 'One of the things that I'll enjoy the most is being able to work out again and put some weight on my legs and have my body look a little bit more how I want it to'
Brian continued to do this every day for two months, saying of his painful recovery: 'The hardest part of the whole thing was the lack of sleep, but I think the pain will be worth it – once it's all finished I'll just be able to enjoy being taller, and hopefully feel on top of the world.'

The growth happened in two stages - in February, the external fixators on his tibia were removed and he was around three inches taller.

In March 2023, he had the second operation, which cost him an additional $69,487, to carry out the same procedure on his femur.

64375515-12159711-NuVasive_Precice_2_nails_work_by_breaking_at_least_two_leg_bones-a-2_1685953833153.jpg
NuVasive Precice 2 nails work by breaking at least two leg bones in half. Nails are then drilled into either end of each femur or tibia, which is slowly teased apart with magnets over weeks while it heals naturally, resulting in a longer bone. But it can leave patients in agony and wheelchair-bound during the process, with months of physiotherapy needed afterwards
He said: 'I actually felt great after my femur procedure, and there was almost no pain throughout the entire process, only from lengthening from actually stretching my legs.'

This procedure meant he grew just over an additional three-and-a-half inches taller – which now makes him just under 6ft 7in.

But he is still in a wheelchair and is waiting for it to be completely healed.

He joked: 'When it's fully healed, I'm trying to not have expectations because I don't want to be disappointed but it's hard to imagine that I'm not going to enjoy it.

71769481-12159711-image-a-27_1685950706127.jpg
Looking back on his decision to undergo the surgery, Brian said: 'I didn't need to do this procedure, but I really wanted to, and I didn't know how hard it would be'
71769489-12159711-image-a-29_1685950726895.jpg
He said: 'I don't regret my decision, and I hope that I'm going to be really happy with the results'
'From the few times that I've already stood up, it is bizarre to see people that used to be my height come up to under my nose – it's really weird, and it's a lot of fun just seeing the world in a slightly different perspective.

'I can see above the fridge more easily – not that it's that important, but it's cool. I'll be able to see other people's bald spots, everything will be just different.'

Looking back on his decision to undergo the surgery, Brian said: 'I didn't need to do this procedure, but I really wanted to, and I didn't know how hard it would be.

'So, when I made the decision to do it, I kind of over-estimated how easy it would be and under-estimated how much pain and how much difficulty would be involved.

'I don't regret my decision, and I hope that I'm going to be really happy with the results.'

southpawstyle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
California
I had braces when I was younger and they put a metal plate in the roof of my mouth. I’d have to use an Allen wrench to push the teeth outward every day and it was one of the most painful things I’ve ever done.

This guy is a fukking idiot. Preemptive n/h but that sort of insecurity makes me think dude has monocle meat

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Your favorite poster's favorite poster.
Brian also wanted the surgery to improve his weightlifting goals and be ten inches taller than his wife - who is around 5ft 9 in - so they will no longer be at 'almost eye level'
He better hope they don't get a divorce or he'll be feeling really stupid, even more if he rebounds with someone shorter. :francis: