82 year old dogset man facing eviction crashes out and set himself on fire while being served. Dog dies in fire

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I'm not a landlord or property manager, I'm a professional with a real job

Lol, you are right. All us small landlords should hang it up and just do 9-5 we already have. When BlackRock and friends move in to take up the slack, you deal with them:pachaha:

For the last 4 years, the federal and state governments have provided hundreds of millions in rental assistance (which are just massive subsidies to landlords), which a variety of landlord and property management companies across the country have refused to accept.

See this is the thing people dont understand. Landlords dont have to accpet subsidized tenants. Just in my experience a lot of these tenants have other issues besides just lower income. And I say this as someone who rents exclusively to Black folks.

Some landlords deal with it (like I have) some don't. Not sure why you think anyone should be required to accept subsidies, especially since you imply it is corporate welfare.

Evictions are not exclusively non-payment of rent - they are: 1) often retaliatory, against protected activity; 2) done constructively (read: illegally); 3) not for any cause aside from wanting to raise rent dramatically; 4) against people who are the victims of domestic violence, disinterested violence, mistaken identity by police, or who are disabled; 5) done to displace local Black populations, and; 6) done when money is available to cover the rent.

1 & 2 are illegal, I already stated I am against 3 but that is the nature of a market unfortunately. Even with rent control if someone moves out you can reset to market. 4 is morally questionable but isn't a huge cause for most evictions. 5 is discrimination though we both agree it happens all the time and 6 depends on jurisdiction and how eviction processes are handled (do you have to accept late rent).

Besides the illegal stuff and racial discrimination the contract covers stuff tenants can't do. If tenants try to move in family members (they do) not on the lease you can demand they move or evict them. Otherwise they become tenants too. Same with property damage and other things. There is a process for written warnings etc. but if they sign the lease they need to follow it.

One of the things I do a lot of is tenant defense and civil rights lawsuits against landlords and property managers - I have plenty of cases, sources, and data if you're interested in this.

No, I believe you--I have squared up against you all several times in court:lolbron:

Overall you do good work and help a lot of people--but you also stay getting used by the biggest scumbags.

I don't evict old people, those with sudden hardship, etc. but the worst tenants who destroy their place and don't pay rent run to free legal help when I've finally had to evict them.

I remember dealing with an eviction with legal help where the dude was an unsigned rapper that beat his girl so bad the cops were there every other week. Like others he lied about my character, claimed maintenance and repairs that he never asked for weren't done and acted like I was a slumlord. It was all about finding every legal loophole to delay eviction (which eventually happened).

I had other tenants facing eviction sabotage plumbing or heating to create false pretenses of disrepair to avoid eviction.

Again most landlords are regular middle class folks. We don't get free legal help and have to pay out of pocket for lawyers. Yet you all claim we have some huge advantage which is wild.

I'm just saying I don't mind the book being thrown at cruel or unscrupulous landlords but for every one of those there are many good ones and with our costs going up with real inflation at 10%+ per year, tenants trying to extend no rent payment post Covid and a lot of people gaming the system, acting like we are predators causing an eviction crisis is bs.

Most landlords hate evictions because of the time and money. It can take $10k to redo a residence plus months of lost rent looking for someone new. The average landlord won't go through that unless there are big reasons.

It is sad an 82 yo is being evicted but if it isn't the other reasons you listed and he isn't paying or violating the lease, what would you do?

The real reason is the economy is fukked, especially for the working class. We didn't cause any of that though.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

All Star
Daps
Two female officers couldn’t carry a woman out of a building.
anything else you need to know about “equality”