A fourth former Mississippi officer sentenced to 40 years in racially charged torture cases

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Jackson, MississippiCNN —
A fourth former Mississippi law enforcement officer who pleaded guilty to torturing two Black men was sentenced to 40 years in prison Wednesday, as accounts of the horrifying brutality of a self-styled “Goon Squad” of deputies gripped a federal courtroom.

A judge imposed the harshest sentence so far on former Rankin County sheriff’s deputy Christian Dedmon, saying he committed the most “shocking, brutal and cruel acts imaginable.”

Details of a nightmare of racially motivated beatings, torture, sexual assaults and even a mock execution in January 2023 unfolded for a second day as victims came face-to-face with their tormentors, and each of the rogue former officers was sentenced for what the FBI director described as “atrocious” acts of “pure hell.”

The emotional sentencing hearing Wednesday afternoon, under heavy courtroom security, focused on Dedmon and his sexual assault on one of the victims. An officer with the US Marshals Service told people in court to keep control over their emotions, saying the hearing would be highly contentious.

Federal prosecutors said Dedmon, 29, organized and participated in “countless missions,” and was “not at all afraid to use excessive force.” Despite his relatively young age, one prosecutor said Dedmon “had the experience not to do what he was doing. He hid behind his badge and gun. His acts are egregious, serious, lawless.”

Dedmon’s family was present in the courtroom. Some cried and closed their eyes as prosecutors recounted his conduct.

The disgraced former deputy addressed the court before sentencing, but – unlike the three ex-cops before him – Dedmon did not address the victims directly or make eye contact.

“The lies, the pain I caused them, I will never forgive myself for. If I could take everything back, I promise that I would. I got into law enforcement, not as a devil. I really wanted to make a difference,” Dedmon said.

Dedmon was part of a squad of White Mississippi law enforcement officers who raided a home without a warrant, subjected the two Black men – Eddie Parker and Michael Jenkins – to racist vitriol, tased them after they had already been handcuffed, beat them with various objects and then shot Jenkins in the mouth.

After the hearing, attorneys and relatives of the victims praised the sentence.

“This is a remarkable and historic moment for the state of Mississippi and the United States of America and victims of police brutality and police abuse,” the victims’ attorney Malik Shabazz told reporters.

Shabazz earlier Wednesday called Dedmon “oppressive” and “sick.” Federal prosecutors described Dedmon as the most sexually perverted of the six former officers and subjected them to the most egregious sexual acts.

Melvin Jenkins, father of Michael Jenkins, said, “I’ve lived in Mississippi 68 years, and I’ve never seen justice like this.” He thanked Judge Tom Lee and said the sentence was “something unheard of” in the state.

Another defendant gets 17 years in prison​

Daniel Opdyke, the third former Mississippi law enforcement officers sentenced this week, earlier Wednesday received a 17-years prison term in another highly emotional hearing.

The former officers left Jenkins on the floor to bleedas they planted a gun on the victims and plotted their cover story, officials said.

A visibly emotional Opdyke addressed the court and the victims directly as he sobbed, wiped away tears and paused throughout his statement to them.

“I cannot fathom how I fell so easily in line, going along with and actively participating in the use of excessive force against Mr. Parker and Mr. Jenkins,” Opdyke said. He then turned to Parker, who was crying with his head between his legs.

“Nothing I say can undo the harm that I caused you,” Opdyke told Parker during his testimony in court. “I can only take full responsibility for my actions, and I deeply regret all the pain and suffering I’ve caused you.”

At that moment, Parker was in tears as he stood up and walked out of the courtroom with his aunt.

Couldn’t find the original thread
Feel free to merge

These Cops are bigots at a demonic level!!