African Americans in Amber valley Alberta Canada

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
During the great migration AAs didn't just migrate through out the states from the Jim crow south but, many also went across the canadian border in Amber valley and formed a successful community. However, when the Canadian government caught wind of mostly blacks crossing the border instead of whites who they originally intended to reach out to, they immediately halted anymore AAs from immigrating due to fear that they may takeover with propaganda aimed at AAs in order to discourage them from migrating there.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
About 1,000 African Americans emigrated to Alberta from 1909-1911. Amber Valley is the location of the Obadiah Place provincial heritage site, a homestead of one of the first African-American settler families.

In 1909, a group of 160 African-American homesteaders established the community.[2] The homesteaders, African Americans from Oklahoma and Texas, were attracted by the government's promises of land to homestead, as it was trying to encourage immigrant settlers to develop the land.[3] They were leaving Jim Crow conditions in the United States that discriminated against their rights.

Wow - never knew this. I know that many of the AA's migrated from Oklahoma and Texas -- and moved to California.

Thanks for this -- love learning about the Great Migration.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
About 1,000 African Americans emigrated to Alberta from 1909-1911. Amber Valley is the location of the Obadiah Place provincial heritage site, a homestead of one of the first African-American settler families.

In 1909, a group of 160 African-American homesteaders established the community.[2] The homesteaders, African Americans from Oklahoma and Texas, were attracted by the government's promises of land to homestead, as it was trying to encourage immigrant settlers to develop the land.[3] They were leaving Jim Crow conditions in the United States that discriminated against their rights.

Wow - never knew this. I know that many of the AA's migrated from Oklahoma and Texas -- and moved to California.

Thanks for this -- love learning about the Great Migration.

That was just one of the many routes.

Geode

All Star
Daps
During the great migration AAs didn't just migrate through out the states from the Jim crow south but, many also went across the canadian border in Amber valley and formed a successful community. However, when the Canadian government caught wind of mostly blacks crossing the border instead of whites who they originally intended to reach out to, they immediately halted anymore AAs from immigrating due to fear that they may takeover with propaganda aimed at AAs in order to discourage them from migrating there.

Good stuff! Never knew about this. I've always had an interest in Black people/communities in Canada made up of descendants of American slavery stemming from the underground railroad, but always thought about these communities as being in the eastern part of Canada, and also pre-Great Migration.

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
I knew about this but I never really looked deep into it because I always focused on black nova scotions
Yeah black nova Scotians were in Canada 100's of years (black loyalist)before those that came to Alberta but, could you imagine multiple waves of blacks from down south immigrating to Canada like they did Cali, Chicago, NYC etc and bringing Afram/culture style blending it with the current environment they're in creating a unique style of their own like the previous cities and regions I mentioned?:wow: I feel like we were robbed of that.

PhillyzFinest

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The good brehs of PHI

I appreciate you posting this. I never knew about this place. It just makes me so sad that blacks have NO refuge in North America.