Akira Toriyama (RIP) speaks on his top 5 favorite Dragonball fights

Daps
Reppin
NULL
In a 2009 interview, Akira Toriyama (RIP) spoke on his top 5 favorite battles in the Dragon Ball series.

Goku vs Freeza
Kanzenban Volumes 21–22 / Chapters 308–327

"It’s where the Super Saiyan appears, to say the least. The time had come when I was finally able to follow through on my promise to Assistant-kun. And on top of that, I was able to express it very effectively, and the reception was good, so I have nothing else to add!"

(PART 1)Kuririn vs Bacterian
Kanzenban Volume 3 / Chapter 36

(PART 2) Gotenks vs Majin Boo (Evil)
Kanzenban Volume 33 / Chapters 489–495

"To be honest, I greatly prefer these sorts of silly fights to serious battles. In what I found truly enjoyable while drawing the series, stories full of this sort of idiocy were at the top."

Goku vs Recoome
Kanzenban Volume 19 / Chapters 279–280

"Moreso than being a showdown between two people, I like how Goku, who we’ve been waiting for this whole time, has finally arrived! To exaggerate things a bit, it would be fair to say that I drew out the Freeza arc for so long just for the sake of this scene."

Young Trunks vs Mister Satan
Kanzenban Volume 29 / Chapter 436

"The character who it’s fair to say is my personal favorite, Mister Satan, appears. I enjoy his cheapness, and the brevity of the fight."

Goku vs Demon King Piccolo
Kanzenban Volumes 10-11 / Chapters 142–161

"To be honest, I’ve forgotten quite a lot of the story and events in Dragon Ball, but being the first time [Goku] brought down a frighteningly powerful foe… this battle is #1. Within myself, as well, I had come to see the direction the story would go in after that."

Honorable Mention
In another Daizenshuu guidebook, Toriyama also mentions the Goku vs Tenshinhan battle (during the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai) as a "famous fight".

What about famous fights from the Tenka’ichi Budōkai?

Son Goku vs Tenshinhan

“Thinking of a famous fight, it’d be Goku and Tenshinhan. It’s because their ability was almost exactly equal.”

Links:

Last edited: