Al Jahiz Superiority

Sinnerman

Veteran
Daps
Thanks!

But the Zanj revolt is very confusing, especially when you bring up East African merchants. Slave revolt or not I hear that the Zanj/blacks werent the majority but were funded by East African merchants other times I hear they were the majority, thought its usually when the revolt is labeled as a "slave revolt". Which one is it? And if the Zanj weren't the majority than why was the revolt named after them???

And are the blacks in Iraq/Iran mostly descendants of slaves?

Without reading the book, and just from sources I would think that the Zanj were the majority, or if not, they lead the revolt(although there was the man who set it off, ali muhammad. some say he was persian/black etc). The ancient sources would also point to the finger at the Zanj people for the revolt. The blacks in Iraq/Iran are the descendants of immigrants, merchants etc right? Most of the muslims would castrate their slaves. Note that these areas also hired black mercenaries for their army, and that predates the rise of islam as well.

I'll come back to this thread once I read that book and I'll post some of the pertinent information from it.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Without reading the book, and just from sources I would think that the Zanj were the majority, or if not, they lead the revolt(although there was the man who set it off, ali muhammad. some say he was persian/black etc). The ancient sources would also point to the finger at the Zanj people for the revolt. The blacks in Iraq/Iran are the descendants of immigrants, merchants etc right? Most of the muslims would castrate their slaves. Note that these areas also hired black mercenaries for their army, and that predates the rise of islam as well.

I'll come back to this thread once I read that book and I'll post some of the pertinent information from it.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: How can I forget the bolded?????

And also can you expand how the area of Iraq has been known for black mercenaries before the rise of Islam? The only pre-Islamic people I can think of would be the Nubians, maybe.

Sinnerman

Veteran
Daps
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: How can I forget the bolded?????

And also can you expand how the area of Iraq has been known for black mercenaries before the rise of Islam? The only pre-Islamic people I can think of would be the Nubians, maybe.

The persians hired nubian mercenaries, and didn't the persians control Iraq(babylon) at one point? For those who are reading the thread I'm not saying the nubian soldiers were the majority :whoa: but those that were there contributed to the modern day black iraqis and iranians. The caliphates that came after would pay mercenaries from western sudan and from nubia.

I.AM.PIFF

You're minor, we're major
Supporter
Daps
Most of the muslims would castrate their slaves

I believe this is a christian/coptic procedure tho and they were the ones that introduced it (Christians/Copts had a role in the Arab Slave Trade as well) :ld: