Alchemist break down of how he made Represent Me for Prodigy (RIP)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
@TheDarceKnight
In which scratch issue is this exactly?. I have many of them, would like to look it up and read from there :wow:

Btw, I miss so much such alc beats / samples. That was the real ALC! I don't feel that new repetitive-minimal loop-no drums shyt!
Yo my bad I'm late on relying to this. The cover as DJ Drama and T.I.

Yeah that Return of the Mac/HNIC 2 era was great. He had a lot of those groovy soul samples but with heavy drums and thick bass lines. I remember he would use the sample instead of the hi hats too and do some of those little repetitive taps on the pads. I don't know the technical term, but peep Wet Wipes or Chase the Clouds Away and you'll know what I mean instantly.

Thankfully I think he's kind of off off the no drum stuff. I know they pop up now and then, but oddly enough what I've noticed more in the past couple years is some beats have dope drums back in there but he's experimenting with quieting bass lines or just not adding in extra bass lines at all. Peep these recent beats for example:

both beats on this one

Even though he's one of my favorite producers his drums have always been the weakest part of his style. Even a lot of his early beats and beats that ppl say are his best have drums that don't stand out very much. The chopping, the bass, the rapping, and the overall groove just made people overlook it IMO.

shopant

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yo my bad I'm late on relying to this. The cover as DJ Drama and T.I.

Yeah that Return of the Mac/HNIC 2 era was great. He had a lot of those groovy soul samples but with heavy drums and thick bass lines. I remember he would use the sample instead of the hi hats too and do some of those little repetitive taps on the pads. I don't know the technical term, but peep Wet Wipes or Chase the Clouds Away and you'll know what I mean instantly.

Thankfully I think he's kind of off off the no drum stuff. I know they pop up now and then, but oddly enough what I've noticed more in the past couple years is some beats have dope drums back in there but he's experimenting with quieting bass lines or just not adding in extra bass lines at all. Peep these recent beats for example:

both beats on this one

Even though he's one of my favorite producers his drums have always been the weakest part of his style. Even a lot of his early beats and beats that ppl say are his best have drums that don't stand out very much. The chopping, the bass, the rapping, and the overall groove just made people overlook it IMO.

I don't know if I'm buggin, but I went 3 times through that issue and couldn't find the interview? Are you sure it's in it? I have it, but with the other cover (just blaze & saigon). The content should be the same, though? :jbhmm:

Regarding ALC's drums - they haven't always been the best, but he did improve them around mid 2000s. There are plenty of hard hitting drum tracks from this era.:bandanap5:
The tracks you posted are promising a brighter future in regards to hard drums.

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
I just moved and came across some old Scratch magazines in the attic and skimmed a few. I read this breakdown and realized the beat ended up becoming Represent Me on Prodigy's Return of the Mac/HNIC 2.

Never heard that song before.....it's not on my copy of hnic 2