Another Crypto Heist: $150M+ Stolen from Trading Platform BitMart

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Another Crypto Heist: $150M+ Stolen from Trading Platform BitMart

Hackers have taken $196 million from crypto trading platform BitMart, a security firm said Saturday.

BitMart confirmed the hack in an official statement Saturday night, calling it "a large-scale security breach" and writing that hackers withdrew about $150 million in assets. However, blockchain security and data analytics firm Peckshield estimates that the loss is closer to $200 million. BitMart added in a statement that all withdrawals had been temporarily suspended until further notice and said a thorough security review was underway.

Peckshield was the first to notice the breach on Saturday, noting that one of BitMart's addresses showed a steady outflow of tens of millions of dollars to an address which [Ethereum analytics platform] Etherscan referred to as the "BitMart Hacker."

Peckshield estimated that BitMart lost around $100 million in various cryptocurrencies on the ethereum blockchain and another $96 million from coins on the binance smart chain. The hackers made off with a mix of more than 20 tokens, including binance coin, safemoon, and shiba inu.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it's wild to me that people that are considered mainstream and trusted promote crypto like these scams don't happen regularly in the crypto space.

i was recently listening to a bill simmons podcast (very mainstream) and he had haralabos voulgaris promoting crypto like it was totally safe and obviously the best place to put your money.

seems irresponsible to say the least. shyt needs to be regulated, it's still way to easy for people too run schemes and rug pulls on there.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
it's wild to me that people that are considered mainstream and trusted promote crypto like these scams don't happen regularly in the crypto space.

i was recently listening to a bill simmons podcast (very mainstream) and he had haralabos voulgaris promoting crypto like it was totally safe and obviously the best place to put your money.

seems irresponsible to say the least. shyt needs to be regulated, it's still way to easy for people too run schemes and rug pulls on there.

Its getting more mainstream problem is alot of exchange sites get constantly bombarded by hackers because their cybersecurity needs work. that's it. it happens anywhere money is. thieves will come for it. doesnt matter if it's a bank or a crypto exchange

Ezra

Daps
This is what makes me laugh about crypto. The true believers say it's great because it's decentralized, bankless ect. Yet it's becoming increasingly more necessary to use trading platforms like the one mentioned in the OP that is totally not a centralized pace to exchange currency... definitely not a bank that's susceptible to these thefts