Anybody have a PHD??? Is it worth it?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I have a PhD in Organizational sciences (a combo of I/O Psych, Org Communication, Business). It is totally worth it. I got most of my high paying jobs because I have a PhD (including my current job).

My degree is very useful in the corporate world. I know stats, research methods, interviewing methods, etc. Completing my dissertation was very difficult, but having my PhD has definitely been worth it.

I’d do it again :ehh:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have a Ph.D in Counseling and School Psychology. It was very worth it on so many levels. I am in private practice doing consulting, trainings, workshops, and focused programming for a variety of companies and agencies. When I say the words “ hello, my name is Dr.______,” the whole conversation changes. Approximately 1% of the world population can say they are doctor. So a Black man with one carries a lot of weight. And when other Black people see me, especially the youngins-it may inspire them to want more. I am transparent with them about the struggle and how hard it was, but also how my life is so peaceful due to my ability to control my future. I would do it again without hesitation. My dissertation was 183 pages FYI- lots of work but worth it.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
@Elle Driver @No1 I'm thinking about doing this....
Presumably at an ivy league, I've pretty much found a void to drop a game changing dissertation on.

Plus my writing skills are elite. :whew:
I was talking with a few peeps recently, that advised that I had what it takes. Never saw myself as PhD candidate, much less someone that could research at a top university.

Last edited:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Presumably at an ivy league, I've pretty much found a void to drop a game changing dissertation on.

I was talking with a few peeps recently, that advised that I had what it takes. Never saw myself as PhD candidate, much someone that could research at a top university.
Nice...what field? Ivy doesn’t necessarily mean better, off the bat. There are a lot of state schools with higher ranked programs than some Ivy League schools (at least in the social sciences). Make sure you do your research. But, from a non-academic perspective, the Ivy Leagues sound much more impressive.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Nice...what field? Ivy doesn’t necessarily mean better, off the bat. There are a lot of state schools with higher ranked programs than some Ivy League schools (at least in the social sciences). Make sure you do your research. But, from a non-academic perspective, the Ivy Leagues sound much more impressive.
Don't want to say on the board, but I've finally found my niche that I'm passionate about.

For the field I'm in Ivy leagues are top dog. For example, the chief administrators went to Ivy leagues.

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
I'm getting shyt organised for a PhD in ancient history. I want to be a professional academic and you need a PhD as a bare minimum for that career. If it doesn't work out and I don't end up joining academia, I'm sure with that sort of qualification I'd find high-ranking government jobs. Foreign policy advisor, civil servant, think tank writer, that sort of thing. Or I could go into business myself, I've always enjoyed teaching so I might set up a tutoring firm.

This is in Australia where the university system isn't quite as Darwinian as it is in the US. You can do stuff that's not financially viable if you love it, and it won't create a huge burden of debt.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets

I was talking with a few peeps recently, that advised that I had what it takes. Never saw myself as PhD candidate, much less someone that could research at a top university.
Is the usual five years?

Gotta think about how you’ll support yourself with the little stipend they give you, plus time management for research, and networking for your post doc while you’re completing your doctoral degree.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps

The homie is gone bro. I’m just using his account. I assume you know him but dude just pops in to read the Lakers threads.

TheAnointedOne

Superstar
Daps
"I want to pursue a PhD!"

That's an incomplete statement. A PhD in what? Obviously the subject matters.

IslandG

All Star
Daps
Have a PhD. Worth it for me. As others have said, it depends on what field you're in.