Anybody have any experience with soundproofing ceilings?

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Thanks, this sounds like good advice. Speaking of concrete floors, I've read somewhere that developers cheat and don't put concrete on all floors of a supposedly concrete floor building. They say these developers use a 5-by-1 style of build, where 1 out of every 5 floors is actually concrete, the ones inbetween are not. How true is this?

Wouldn’t shock me but these days they just pour a thin ass slab and you can see how wimpy the floor plates look. But something 7-10+ floors will be concrete in order to support the load.

Inside you’ll get the eye candy appliance and stuff buy the walls will be iffy. Heck even the “cladding” of these newer builds look like shít within a couple of years of being it in the weather

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
There has to be something I can do :why:

Maybe a white noise machine would help.
Unless you have direct access to the beams separating your unit from your upstairs neighbors', you can't do much. It's on the tenants above you to do something. Maybe some rugs/carpeting would do the job. Other than that, you're just gonna have to talk to them and explain the problem.​

Daps
I only look at renting townhouses for this reason. Got tired of hearing about "apartment living" after reporting.

Daps
Townhouse have thin walls too and little privacy with the shared walls. How do you manage that?
Much more private than a typical up/down. I hear noise occasionally, but it's not much of an issue. Also, at least if you hear noise, you can go to another room (at least in my case).

The biggest issue for me was the stomping and kids running around at all hours. At least with a townhouse, I got rid of the one thing that most annoyed me.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK,DE,MUFC,DMV
neighbors be like ...

tumblr_nnjitkfKcJ1qzuucto1_500.gif

:picard:

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sound proofing is harmonic/sound waves

What you’re experiencing is vibrational. As a builder a lot of that is controlled by subfloor glue, how the load is carried (floor joist), how thick the subfloor is, if they installed insulation in the ceiling.

I said all that bullshyt to say that nope ain’t shyt you can do about it in an apartment
This is legit. I moved into my spot and that low level type of sound (floor joists and loose floorboards) is way more complicated to keep out than say voices and TV noise. The only real solution is to move unless cats are ready to loose a foot of ceiling trying to add insulation and drywall.

Im living in a pre-war, 120 year old building and immediately knew that if my neighbors had children, I would die miserably in less than a year if I couldnt move out.