Anybody here a Technical Writer

RealCrownHeights

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Trying to put this English degree to work, I'm studying for certs but I have no interest in this shyt whatsoever I still want to make money and not go to grad school though.

Any tips or advice and for anyone in the industry, what is your day to day like?

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
Trying to put this English degree to work, I'm studying for certs but I have no interest in this shyt whatsoever I still want to make money and not go to grad school though.

Any tips or advice and for anyone in the industry, what is your day to day like?

This is my day to day:
  • Research (from technical requirements documents, JIRA comments, testing notes, demos and emails from engineers)
  • Outlining guides and topics and writing
  • Sending output to engineers for feedback
  • Publishing document somewhere

RealCrownHeights

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
How did you get started and where are you located if you don't mind me asking? and do you like your job?

What skills does it require?

Also what Is your salary ?

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
How did you get started and where are you located if you don't mind me asking? and do you like your job?

What skills does it require?

Also what Is your salary ?

Applied right out of university. I'm in Toronto. I like it fine, it's boring but I know what I'm getting into everyday and I like that.

You just need to be able to write and have good research skills. Also, you should be tech savvy enough to learn how to use new software on your own. Expect to do some QA work as well.

70k. I'm at a senior level, but not at the very top where I'd be managing a team of writers.