Anybody here still own cassettes?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hundreds of them. Still got college radio hip hop shows from the early 90s that I would record on Thursday and Friday nights. I documented my youth the best way I knew how

This.

I still have tapes of Ludacris as a radio DJ in Atlanta. I had a tape of La La Anthony as a DJ as well. It was her first day on the job.

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
I got most of the Cold Chillin' artists tapes and a ton of late 80s early 90s hip-hop and r&b

the white chubb rock ep :wow:

I never fukked with CD like that Sam Goodie was robbin' nikkas

lol@24 dollars for a CD

Went from tapes to just recording music videos/radio myself to MP3

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I got my pause tapes in a shoe box... from pre download era when you had to wait for new bangers to premier on college radio shows.

98-2001 ish

some albums i used to buy on tape then cd when i had more dough.. so I got them on both. I always resold bad albums at the used store so I don't have many meh joints

also got source, xxl vibe and some local mags from 20 years ago or less. stopped buying mags in the g-unit era when the rags lost credibility

djfilthyrich

All Star
Daps
The sound on cassette isn't great.....it's kinda muddy. Doesn't compare to vinyl or CD. It's mainly for the nostalgia factor. I just msg'd a guy today about buying a couple tapes just for the collection

Crumple

All Star
Daps
The sound on cassette isn't great.....it's kinda muddy. Doesn't compare to vinyl or CD. It's mainly for the nostalgia factor. I just msg'd a guy today about buying a couple tapes just for the collection

I disagree. I paused to think about what you said as well. Knowing tapes were always dope.

I have tapes with hiss and crackles that I adore.

CD is crisp.

Vinyl they say is the absolute best playback format. I feel it is again with hiss n crackles.

My question to you and others is why exactly does everyone say vinyl is the best playback sound?

djfilthyrich

All Star
Daps
I disagree. I paused to think about what you said as well. Knowing tapes were always dope.

I have tapes with hiss and crackles that I adore.

CD is crisp.

Vinyl they say is the absolute best playback format. I feel it is again with hiss n crackles.

My question to you and others is why exactly does everyone say vinyl is the best playback sound?

First of all, tapes don't have crackle, unless the crackle was on the source material. Tapes suffer from hiss, and lower sound quality. That's a fact.
Just because you have tapes that you adore, still does not mean that they factually have better sound.
Vinyl can suffer from crackle and surface noise, but not hiss (unless the record was damaged by contant back-cueing etc like most DJ's do)

CD is crisp, and still arguably the best sound quality overall, UNLESS you have a really good vinyl system.

For vinyl to sound better than CD, you would need a really good quality phono cartridge/turntable/amplifier. Also, you would need to properly clean your vinyl, so that all of the surface noise is removed before playback (surface noise is cause by dirt and static electricity). If you have all of those things, which 95% of people don't, then vinyl can sound better than CD, as the analog sound will be warmer than CD, but still retain it's crispness.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Who told you that???? Lol. If you have a great cassette player, they sound great. If you got s family dollar Walkman, then yes it would sound shytty. Tape is a warm sound. The closest resemblance to what was recorded on 2 inch are cassettes.

djfilthyrich

All Star
Daps
Who told you that???? Lol. If you have a great cassette player, they sound great. If you got s family dollar Walkman, then yes it would sound shytty. Tape is a warm sound. The closest resemblance to what was recorded on 2 inch are cassettes.

False......who told YOU that????
I'm a studio recording engineer. Tape can sound warm, but it is NOT the closest resemblance to what was recorded on 2-inch. Trust me....I've recorded many bands on 2-inch, and cassette is not even CLOSE to the nearest reproduction of the original source material (The studios I've worked in had studio-grade cassette players FYI). 2-inch reels run at a much faster pace than cassette players, and that's because it's better to record sound information over a greater surface area of tape. Cassette moves slower, and as a result is forced to have more information stored in a smaller surface area of tape.
The closest thing to the source material for the general public who haven't invested in expensive hi-fi equipment is CD. To get the warmth part though, then the closest is vinyl.
Some of the harshness people complain from CD's can be mitigated by having a system with a good D/A converter, and also having a tube amp.

When I say cassette is muddy, I'm saying it hits roadblocks when it comes to accurately reproducing the soundstage, and it lacks detail in reproducing the high-end (The 'warmth' you hear from cassette is sometimes due to that phenomenon).

Now, I'm talking about sound quality from an audio engineer's objective perspective. I'm not saying that certain ppl like yourself can THINK cassette sounds better.....to some people's ears, they can. But speaking professionally, they don't. The best way is for a person to actually take a listen and judge for themselves.