Anyone here a DevOps Engineer?

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
What's your typical day to day like and what skills cant you be missing?

I been looking at some devops positions online and i feel like i have a lot of these skills but need to practice and fine-tune some of my other skills.

But the thing is i fee like many companies throw that term around aimlessly without core definition. Like this cat i know just got a new gig and his title is "DevOps engineer" but homie has no type of programming language or Linux skills. Heck i was teaching him linux. I know he has a old Cisco cert and recently learned some AWS which is highly sought after so that could have helped a lot but he's not certified in it.

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f707967396d48312e706e67

Sonny Bonds

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I’m not a DevOps engineer, but one of my managers at a previous job was.

My understanding is that Linux and bash, a programming language (usually Python), and knowledge of one of the cloud platforms is what's needed for those roles.

Other stuff to know would be configuration management.

Daps
Reppin
Seven One Eight
like most titles in IT, its meaningless on its own.

@Sonny Bonds was basically spot on tho. having a strong foundation in linux, python (usually, although some shops may have you using a different language) and one of the big three cloud providers (once you learn aws, azure and gcp are pretty self explanatory) is the key. most of the devops guys ive encountered actually have strong sysadmin backgrounds but just so happen to also know how to code.

linux and cloud knowledge would definitely put you ahead of the pack tho. there is such a knowledge gap and general fear of linux in the industry that just being able to comfortably maneuver around the terminal will have some employers like :feedme: