anyone work for a federal government contractor ?

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I'm a federal employee now but I was a contractor about 15 years ago.

Congrats. I never heard of suitability.

BelizeKing

All Star
Daps
I’m a contractor. Been one since 2016. Best experience in my life. Worked out of Afghanistan, Iraq, Djibouti, and Kenya. Have the opportunity to work in Italy, Japan, Colombia and Australia.

I’m a Reservist so I got my clearance before my first deployment.

The only advice I have for you is network, network, network. Some ninjas be acting funny but many will be willing to talk and look out for you. Know the length of you contract and the history. Most contracts are lost but as long as you aren’t management, you will be kept. Contractors call it a badge change. You do the same exact job, work with the same people, just a new company name. Sometimes you get a raise, sometimes a cut, sometimes you have to apply for your position.

Keep your ears and eyes open and always look for the next best contract. Govt money isn’t forever even though it seems like it is.

Enjoy those fat checks and network.

Daps
I’m a contractor. Been one since 2016. Best experience in my life. Worked out of Afghanistan, Iraq, Djibouti, and Kenya. Have the opportunity to work in Italy, Japan, Colombia and Australia.

I’m a Reservist so I got my clearance before my first deployment.

The only advice I have for you is network, network, network. Some ninjas be acting funny but many will be willing to talk and look out for you. Know the length of you contract and the history. Most contracts are lost but as long as you aren’t management, you will be kept. Contractors call it a badge change. You do the same exact job, work with the same people, just a new company name. Sometimes you get a raise, sometimes a cut, sometimes you have to apply for your position
Keep your ears and eyes open and always look for the next best contract. Govt money isn’t forever even though it seems like it is.

Enjoy those fat checks and network.

are there raises annually or do you get the same amount the entire contract ? :patrice:

BelizeKing

All Star
Daps
It depends on the company and the contract. Most of the contracts that I have been exposed to don’t have raises written in them.

Most companies offer bonuses though and some do give raises. I work for L3Harris. They do raises every other year. We get a yearly bonus too. It’s small though. They say it’s incentive based but I doubt it.

You can ask about the contract during your interview or orientation. It’s not taboo to ask. Everybody should know the pay aspect of the contract at least.

Daps
It depends on the company and the contract. Most of the contracts that I have been exposed to don’t have raises written in them.

Most companies offer bonuses though and some do give raises. I work for L3Harris. They do raises every other year. We get a yearly bonus too. It’s small though. They say it’s incentive based but I doubt it.

You can ask about the contract during your interview or orientation. It’s not taboo to ask. Everybody should know the pay aspect of the contract at least.

Ill ask at orientation. Ive got conflicting information so far as far as raises. It says on the website for the company there are yearly bonuses as well as performance bonuses throughout the year but I wonder if thats for all employees or just the upper management.

The Knee Grow

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Addison rd Metro
Ill ask at orientation. Ive got conflicting information so far as far as raises. It says on the website for the company there are yearly bonuses as well as performance bonuses throughout the year but I wonder if thats for all employees or just the upper management.

I've been a contractor for almost 15 years in two different industries and about 6 companies. The raises depends on your individual company but HR should be able to answer the question. Majority of these companies care more about you having a clearance than what you actually know so if they dont give raises you can always take your clearance and bounce. I don't know what industry you're in but there will always be another company that will probably pay you more.

Daps
I've been a contractor for almost 15 years in two different industries and about 6 companies. The raises depends on your individual company but HR should be able to answer the question. Majority of these companies care more about you having a clearance than what you actually know so if they dont give raises you can always take your clearance and bounce. I don't know what industry you're in but there will always be another company that will probably pay you more.

thanks that's good information to know. I only have a Public trust though not an actual security clearance. I'm definitely hoping this can open some more doors for me though.